News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ownership of FORGE derived works...

Started by pete_darby, July 17, 2003, 07:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pete_darby

This is probably displacement activity / an excuse not to write, but...

Following this thread, and this thread, which came from this thread, I'm farily raring to develop something (anything!) using a shedload of the stuff that has arisen in these discussions (and their progenitor discussions here and elsewhere).

But...

Looking at the material, I can hand on heart say that at least 40% would be little more than a cut and paste, or minor rephrasing, of what others have said on the issues.

Heck, even the base system would be Hero Wars with the serial numbers filed off.

Sooooo, given that I'd be more of an editor than creator on the project, what would be the appropriate level of ownership I could claim in conscience on it? A careful apportion of source in the acknowledgements / contents ("initial ideas and systems for healer campaigns from Bruce Ferrie, Tim Ellis and Roderick Robertson," etc.)? Have the initial authors give approval on sections which refer to their work? And what if I go commercial with it (which is the $65 million dollar question, I guess)?

EDIT: And is this the right forum to ask in?
Pete Darby

Ron Edwards

Hi Pete,

I've moved this to the Publishing forum.

We've had some pretty extensive discussions about this at the Forge. Check out the following thread, How protective are you of your game ideas?, especially the links referenced within it, as well as Copyright and references to RPGs.

Best,
Ron

pete_darby

As ever, thanks Ron. My search-fu must be sorely depleted right now....
Pete Darby