News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Can you do that!?

Started by Marco, July 16, 2003, 11:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marco

I'm running a Savage World's game for a group with some new-gamers and some experienced ones (and it's been non-functional in terms of getting started--there's a whole interesting story here that I won't go into now).

But here's a snippet of an IM conversation (names changed) that I thought people might find interesting. The guy was going to see Pirates and he'd loved it. He lamented I couldn't make it tonight to see it again with him.

Narco: Maybe I'll run a Pirates of the Carribean game when the Neverim game is over ...

N.: okay...can you do that?

Marco: sure, why not?

N.: okay

Marco: high seas, swashbuckling adventure, the royal navy, and ... skeletons! It'd practically write itself!

N.: :-)

Marco: I've been in campaigns where everyone played professors at a university ... you can do *anything* with RPG's ... (this one was a horror game and some of the people got eaten ... but still)

N.: wow didn't even think of that...just figured you still need core rules for it

Marco: not as hard as you'd think.

Marco: depending on what the action is and how you'd want to simulate it.

N.: oh

Marco: or "portray it" is a better word than simulate)

Marco: yeah, well, as Sledgehammer said "Trust me, I know what I'm doing."

I meant to say "run itself" rather than "write itself."

These guys have played several different fantasy games (D&D3e, Warhammer, etc.)--they've rarely played more than 2 sessions of the same game as a group.

Edit for clarity: the group, until I started running the present was a non-starter. The first session of the SW game was run last week to great enthausiasum. I expect it to continue (but, of course, time will tell).

-Marco
---------------------------------------------
JAGS (Just Another Gaming System)
a free, high-quality, universal system at:
http://www.jagsrpg.org
Just Released: JAGS Wonderland

Daniel Solis

Odd. I'm running a swashbuckling game with low-level superpowers using the Aberrant system. Another local group is running a swashbuckling game using Hackmaster as the basic rules. I wonder how many other pirate games will have been sparked by PotC.
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

rafial

Arr, matey, any fool who has taken but one piece of the Aztec gold will be cursed to run a swashbuckling campaign, lest he face the wrath of the heathen gods!