News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New and Current Driftwood projects

Started by Jake Norwood, July 28, 2003, 05:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Gen Con and OBAM have really opened my eyes to some great possibilities. Before OBAM we were waiting for the Distribution chain to get their act together. OBAM, which ignored the distribution chain initially, has done very well, and is actually a profitable product. So I'm getting my butt in gear and we'll be churning stuff out much, much faster.

Here's the stuff in the works:

The Flower of Battle. This is our number one priority. It's going to be large, so it may be a little while, but it's on it's way out.

Gods of War/La Famiglia/Thirst. These are non-TROS games that I'm working on. I'm going to finish and publish at least 2 of them in the next year.

The Riddle of Jade (or whatever). This is going to be the Riddle of steel in Japan and Tengoku. It will be based on (1) historical fact and (2) Kurosawa movies. It will have a revised and specialized version of the TROS rules that will be compatible with all existing TROS materials, but it will be a full game in one book. I'm very excited about this. I expect to have this by GenCon next year.

That's the shortlist for now.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Gordon C. Landis

Hey, katanas are steel too, aren't they?  I like "The Koan of Steel"  Or "The Koan of Folded Steel," maybe.   But it's your game . .  .  :-)

(BTW - great news about the various projects, and great to see you again at GenCon)

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Jake NorwoodThe Riddle of Jade (or whatever). This is going to be the Riddle of steel in Japan and Tengoku. It will be based on (1) historical fact and (2) Kurosawa movies. It will have a revised and specialized version of the TROS rules that will be compatible with all existing TROS materials, but it will be a full game in one book. I'm very excited about this. I expect to have this by GenCon next year.
Jake

Oh man do I have to get this, Jake. Sign me up. I'm on a big samurai kick, and while L5R is great, it's missing a thing here or there.

Sorry I missed you this year at GenCon, man. Hope you had a good one. I watched the movie of you schooling Holmes in the aisle. Funny stuff.

Just remember, "Spoon."
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Jake Norwood

Matt-

I want to work with you on this, too. Email me.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lxndr

Sorcery and the Fey isn't on the short list?  :(

Well, I'm happy to see what is on the short list, at least.  :)
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Jake Norwood

It is. I just wrote in a hurry and forgot to mention it. I'm working on material for it currently, in fact, and we did a playtest of a scenario that will be in SaTF on Saturday night. It rocked.

Jake

ethan_greer

Damn, dude.  It's good to have goals and all, but you're talking about publishing a large supplement and 3 full games in a year.  I don't want to curb your obvious enthusiasm, and everyone here knows that you're a kick-ass writer and designer, but damn.  That's an impressive pile of projects on your plate!  :)

Jake Norwood

Well, the thing is that I'm looking at 7 weeks in Europe starting in 3 weeks with nothing but a pad and paper, which is how I wrote TROS. After that I'm looking at a few weeks of unemployment (long story). And I'm enthusiastic. The only two that will be hard to write are the TROS supplements. La Famiglia is mostly done and so is Gods of War, at least conceptually. The Japan one is going to be a revisted TROS plus new setting and some quirky rules, so that won't take as long as a game from scratch.

So yeah, it's ambitious. But I want a whole shelf at GenCon (::wink, wink::)

Jake

Durgil

Quote from: Jake Norwood...I want a whole shelf at GenCon (::wink, wink::)
What a coincidence, I'd like to have a whole self of TRoS at home as well.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Shadeling

The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

kenjib

Very cool!  I'm looking forward to more releases and I had a couple of questions about the content of upcoming books.

SatF:  Will there be pre-made spell examples in the book?  Creating your own is always the best way, but it can be handy to have some pre-generated ideas on hand.

FoB:  Will there be anything on weapons and shields breaking?  How about disarming (other than the current random-counter way it's handled)?
Kenji