News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

killin' puppies for you-know-who

Started by Ron Edwards, October 09, 2001, 11:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Oh, man. This is fun. Well, fun to read, anyway, I'm not sure about playing it, but it's SO obnoxiously dead-on, that I might.

I'm talking about the Lumpster's "unfunny" RPG, kill puppies for satan, that arrived in a plain brown wrapper in my mailbox about a week ago. The "unfunny" part is definitely false advertising.

It so happens that a friend of mine also gave me his first RPG design to check out, that same day - it's called "Sin" and features a nearly-nude woman in full color on its cover ... so there I was, in public, looking over "kill puppies for satan" with its black-and-degenerate-looking cover, and "Sin," with the full-color naked bush (you'll excuse the expression) on its cover. Ah, RPGs, wholesome hobby that thou art.

Anyway, back to the puppies. This is a good example of an "attitude" game, in which a role-player basically sheds all these years of apologetic and wholesome, reassuring text in published RPGs. Its content (and I suspect playing it) is more of a statement rather than an end in itself. In that sense, it's like Hol and the other Black Dog material, except that kill puppies is way funnier and more honest in its rudeness. I wouldn't pick such stuff for an ENDPOINT in role-playing, but it's definitely a healthy developmental step.

You know, I might just play it after all. Then I could review it, and that would be too much fun.

Best,
Ron

lumpley

Hey, I'm glad it came, and I'm glad it's been good for a giggle.

Way funnier and more honest than Hol?  I'll take it.

Is Sin available, or must we languish in the agony of knowing it exists but not being able to see it, sad sad we?

-lumpley

Ron Edwards

Languish, you buggers. Sin is in development and will see some playtesting over the next couple of months.

And I know this is answering a question from the other thread, but it really belongs on this one, so sure, please quote me regarding kill-puppies if you like.

Best,
Ron