News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I've just got to know -- how was GenCon

Started by Michael Hopcroft, July 27, 2003, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

It should be noted that next year's GenCon coincides with the Brickyard 400.  Not bad if you're a Nascar fan and want to hit the track for a day, but I'd highly recommend making hotel reservations early.

Like now is probably not a bad idea.

Lxndr

Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Troy_Costisick

Greetings!

Oh wow, GenCon and the Brickyard at the same time.  Make your hotel reservations now folks.  Seriously.  I'm from Indiana, and I remember when the NBA Playoffs and the Indy 500 coincided.  Downtown traffic was scary.  Also, hotels booked up real fast.  GenCon and the Brickyard will be worse.

I was told by several business owners this year that they were dreading GenCon because it promised to be the biggest convention at Indy this year.  It surpassed their expectations.  Which is a good thing IMO.

But next year, whew, it will be something.  Looking forward to it!

Peace,

-Troy

Mike Holmes

Whyingodsname would they schedule it on that weekend? Why not the same weekend (last in July)? Why does it hop around like that? Anybody have an idea?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jeffrey Miller

The only thing I can think of is that there's scheduling conflicts due to other events already booking up the convention center.  What's driving me batty is the schedule for 2006; Indy in August and then SoCal in November?  Yikes!

Anyone planning on heading to Anaheim this December to put in a Forge presence (even if there's no booth)?

-jeffrey-

Gordon C. Landis

Quote from: Jeffrey Miller
Anyone planning on heading to Anaheim this December to put in a Forge presence (even if there's no booth)?
I'm hoping to get down there - at least for the weekend - and there are some Forge folks who live in the area.

As it gets closer to December, I figure we'll see a SoCal-specfic thread or  three . . .

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

lumpley

My GenCon report's up on my site:
http://www.septemberquestion.org/lumpley/opine.html#gencon

Pictures to come, or maybe I left my little disposable camera on the floor of my brother's van, in which case who knows.

-Vincent

Lxndr

Although clashing with Brickyard will suck, at least next year I'll be able to make my local con (which is the last week of July).  I'm hoping to talk them into having the foresight to schedule differently the next time they clash with GenCon (where did people find the schedules for years past 2003, btw?).

Meanwhile, yes, I am going to GenCon SoCal.  That's tentative until I reserve the hotel (which won't happen until I see the "special GenCon prices" like they had for Indy) but it's "Pretty Darned Sure(tm)".  By next year, if I succeed in my current whimsical dream and have an indie publication worth speaking of, I'd be willing to shell out the money to host the "SoCal Forge Booth."  Not this year, though.

Paul Czege

"They turned out to be Jeffrey Miller and Matt"...Wilson? Snyder was at some family thing.

Cool summary.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jonathan Walton

My plan for next year: bring a tent.  Just hope it'll be possible to find parking nearby.

lumpley

Yep, I made the same mistake all through the con.  It's fixed.  Sorry, Matt.

You weren't there, Jonathan, were you?  Cause if you were I wanted to meet you.

-Vincent

Lxndr

If you weren't there, of course, then he didn't want to meet you after all.  ;)

I'm looking forward to next year.

Jonathan Walton

I was, indeed, conspiciously absent.  My deal with myself is that I can't go to one of the major cons (Origins or GenCon, mainly) until I have something to sell.  How's that for an incentive?  So, for the next 11 months, it's Argonauts, Ever-After, and Vespertine, baby!

Mike Holmes

That's very cool, Johnathan. You've just inspired me.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Valamir

Yeah, I think we should committ to seeing Ever-After, Sorcerer in Space, and Robots and Rapiers at next years GenCon.  No excuses allowed.