News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Diana Jones nominees

Started by Ron Edwards, July 16, 2003, 09:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi everybody,

Check it out at the Diana Jones website.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Two people, one computer game, and four RPGs...it's a very classy and eclectic short list. I remain impressed by the relevance of the award, and the demonstrated perspective of the committee. Rather than provoking personal outrage over conspicuous ommissions, the committee's short list actually forces me to elevate my perspective. I consider myself pretty objective, so that's quite an achievement.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jake Norwood

The dang link is down...driving me nuts!

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Paul Czege

Hey...I still have the page open...so here's a paste:

the diana jones award
FOR EXCELLENCE IN GAMING

The committee considered a list of almost twenty nominations for the third annual Diana Jones Award. The following seven (in alphabetical order) comprise this year's shortlist:

JORDAN WEISMAN
As one of the founders of both FASA and FASA Interactive, Jordan has long been a successful, driving force in the adventure game industry. After selling FASA Interactive to Microsoft, Jordan moved from Chicago to Seattle to work for Microsoft's entertainment software division. He reentered adventure gaming in 2001 with Mage Knight, which altered miniatures gaming as we knew it. In 2002, his new company, WizKids, released more of their patent-pending clicky-base games, taking the industry by storm. Recently, Jordan helped sell WizKids to Topps, ensuring even more mass-market exposure for his company's creations.

MONTE COOK
Monte has worked in the adventure games industry since 1990, when he started as an editor for Iron Crown Enterprises. After years of overseeing their Hero Games line, he moved to Wisconsin to take a job with TSR. After Wizards of the Coast bought TSR, Monte relocated to Seattle, where he was put on the team charged with creating Dungeons & Dragons, Third Edition. Monte left Wizards in 2001 to start up a new publishing company, Malhavoc Press. Starting out as a PDF publisher, he quickly signed an agreement with Sword & Sorcery Studios to bring his work into print. His work for Wizards and Malhavoc has placed him squarely at the top of the d20 System heap.

NEVERWINTER NIGHTS
By Bioware Corp.
Published by Atari

Over the years, many computer and platform-based roleplaying games have claimed to be like the real thing, but none has succeeded so well as Neverwinter Nights. The fact that it uses the Dungeons & Dragons, Third Edition, rules firmly plants its feet in the adventure gaming industry, but its real innovation is how it grants players the ability to not only design their own adventures but also moderate them as a Dungeon Master.

NOBILIS, SECOND EDITION
By R. Sean Borgstrom
Published by Hogshead Publishing/Guardians of Order

The last game published under James Wallis's incarnation of Hogshead Publishing, the second edition of Nobilis set new standards for roleplaying games by marrying cutting-edge game design and superb prose style with top-notch product design. It expanded typical game concerns to deal forthrightly with love, loyalty, and morality. It also shattered the $40 price barrier for single-book roleplaying games, declaring that if you want quality work you should be prepared to pay a fair rate for it.

NYAMBE
By Chris Dolunt
Published by Atlas Games

Arguably the finest of the d20 System sourcebooks released last year, this book brought a mythic version of Africa directly to your fantasy roleplaying game, finally dragging it out of medieval Europe. In doing so, it highlighted the best part of the d20 System/Open Game License: the ability to bring fresh and original settings to a large audience.

THE RIDDLE OF STEEL
By Jake Norwood, et al
Published by Driftwood Publishing

Starting with a grassroots, internet-based marketing campaign, The Riddle of Steel is a stellar example of how a rookie designer with little publishing experience can enter the roleplaying game industry with a splash. The mechanics are notable for their extremely realistic take on combat, but the most innovative part of the game is how players can use their characters' spiritual attributes to directly and emphatically affect how well they fight.

UNKNOWN ARMIES, SECOND EDITION
By Greg Stolze and John Tynes
Published by Atlas Games

In its first edition, Unknown Armies relentless concentration on individual, personal responsibility and consequences, married to its inventive, original, and wholly American occult background, created an alchemical blend that energized personal horror gaming for the 21st century. The second edition is cleaner and sleeker than ever, making it even more accessible for players new to this gem.
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jake Norwood

Thanks a million.

That's a heck of a list. It's cool to be considered even in the same class as those guys...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Jürgen Mayer

Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Daniel Solis

I'm already in love with Nobilis and Unknown Armies, I'll definitely be checking out Nyambe and Riddle of Steel.

Congratulations, Jake. That's some prestigious company.
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

Jonathan Walton

Who needs the Origins awards?  These nominations rock.  I could just buy everything nominated for a Diana Jones every year and revel in the goodness.  Now I have to search the site for previous nominees to make sure I own them all...

Valamir

There's two years worth and they're all pretty solid.

C. Edwards

Congratulations Jake!

Being nominated for the Diana Jones award rocks the casbah. But if you win don't let it go to your head like that Ron Edwards guy. ;)

-Chris

Ben Lehman

Jonathan Walton

Nobilis and the FASA/WizKids guy.  As much as I rooted for Jake, I think they made the right choice(s).  In the long run, Nobilis and MageKnight did a ton to change the way people thought about games (both content and production).  Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to buy all the other nominees...

pete_darby

Frankly, given the shortlist, it would be hard for them to have picked a "wrong" winner.

I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd chosen all of them as joint winners...

Too Much Stuff! Not Enough Cash! Must Sell Children!
Pete Darby