News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Just a quick question

Started by MonkeyWrench, July 28, 2003, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyWrench

I'm new here to the boards (though I've been lurking for a week or so) and I'm fairly new to TROS. I'd just like to know how many other people out there feel like they need to convert everyone that plays FRPgs to The Riddle of Steel? I feel like I need to be an ambassador or missionary of sorts spreading the good news. I'm curious if anyone else feels this way. The Riddle of Steel has made me get excited about role-playing again.

Excuse me if I sound like a moron.
-Jim

mrgrimm

Yeah I tend to agree. After reading the rules (still reading) I find that I see the flaws in other systems and find that this system has re-energized my desire to play or run a RPG again. I want to take this to the masses and let the world have a Coke.....oh sorry wrong commercial.........I meant to say let the world in on the fun to be had in The Riddle of Steel.  You can finally play your character as opposed to your characters stats.
A The Riddle of Steel Computer with  a Haven : City of Violence graphics card and a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay soundcard. Lejendary Adventures of Ram and a Cyberpunk 2.02.0 Hard Drive

Mike Holmes

It's great to have the missionary fervor, and it's a great idea to spread the word, but a note of caution:

Everyone who really likes a particular system wishes that everyone else would play their system. But that's obviously problematic. I mean there are way more D&D players than, well, any other kind of RPG players. And many of them have some fervor. What would you say to an attempt by one of them to convert you? You'd laugh, right?

Well, when evangelizing, expect people to laugh at you. Further, if you become indignant about that (and that's a very common reaction), then expect them to become indignant back. Then expect them to consider you a crackpot, and never look at the game again.

What I'm saying is that, Ambassador = good, Evangelist = bad. What we preach around here is that most games are just fine. Instead of converting people to "the movement", instead of preaching that they should stop playing the games they like, try to get them to see TROS as yet another game that they can have fun at playing.

If it really is good (and we know that it is) and they play both, eventually they'll come over to playing TROS, right? So let the game sell itself. Present it positively, but don't compare it to other games. It's not a competition to have the "best" system, just try to get people to play TROS.

That all make sense?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

MonkeyWrench

Oh I can definetly see your point. Getting in someone's face about the merits of one game over another isn't going to do any good. My excitment about it comes from talking to people. At most of the local game stores there are a good number of people who are tired of the typical FRPG stuff and so I feel a certain pride in pointing them towards TROS.
-Jim

Mike Holmes

Cool. I tend to be overcautious about this because I've seen so many bad attempts to make converts. There was this example last year of a rather famous designer who was put off the Forge because they were told that their designs sucked...after he had shown great interest in the ideas here.

I still want to pound that guy.

Anyhow, the best bet for showing those people at the FLGS how good the game is, is to do a demo there. Have you thought of setting one up?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

MonkeyWrench

I have ran all of one TROS game. Although there have several times that me and my usual group have just sat around fighting each other. I have a fairly good grasp of the rules and have been running games for about 7 years now, but I would really want to wow people who showed up.
And I'd like to do something more or less "official", something in Weyrth not my own home-made one. Any suggestions?
-Jim

Ashren Va'Hale

check out the adventure hook in the book concerning the barameir city library and teh festial of lights. Lots of possibilities from tournaments to iintrigue and it would offer a great taste of weyrth culture. Jake used that for my first taste of TROS and I was indeed "wowed"
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Ben Lehman

Quote from: MonkeyWrenchAnd I'd like to do something more or less "official", something in Weyrth not my own home-made one. Any suggestions?

BL>  I would like to point out that TROS is built as a "toolkit" game -- Weyrth is by no means the only "official" world, it's just the one included in the book, y'know.  Your own homemade world is just as official, by which I mean it is just as important, worthwile, and discussable on this or the Actual Play fora.

yrs--
--Ben

Brian Leybourne

I still say the best way to kick off a TROS campaign is the caravan idea. Do a search on this forum and you'll find everything you need to know about it (we've talked about it several times in the past).

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Sneaky Git

Quote from: Brian LeybourneI still say the best way to kick off a TROS campaign is the caravan idea. Do a search on this forum and you'll find everything you need to know about it (we've talked about it several times in the past).

Brian.

I second this...

I have also started in medias res, just throwing the disparate personalities into a conflict they are forced to respond to immediately.  Sometimes they fall in together (of their own accord), others not.  Either way, its a cool start that can be applied to numerous situations.

Chris
Molon labe.
"Come and get them."

- Leonidas of Sparta, in response to Xerxes' demand that the Spartans lay down their arms.