News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

KYUSEISHA: Gunning for System Feedback

Started by Andy Kitkowski, July 29, 2003, 12:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Hey all (following this thread): The first playtest session went down. The notes are here:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=7451

Palaskar, I'll try to get to your suggestions/comments tonight.

Thanks!
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Andy Kitkowski

Hey- sorry about the late reply.  I'm digging all the feedback I'm getting, but haven't had a lot of time to reply properly.  Will hit the Actual Play thread later on tonight for additional replies.

Quote from: PalaskarOkay, here's another crazy idea...How about merging Crunch and Destiny? I think this would give more of a Matrix feel....imagine the PCs learn that they are ALL the "chosen one"?

Interesting.  I think we're ALL a little sick of hearing games plugged as "...like The Matrix", but still, I appreciate it. Turns out that, after playtest, putting Power (formerly "Crunch") as a balanceable item like Might, Willpower, etc seemed to work very well.  And Destiny will start at a set number, with possibilities for making it higher or lower depending on GM-Player contracts, with the Player assigning those points of destiny to various things that smell a lot like Spiritual Attributes from TROS (more on this later, as I'll need feedback in another thread, most likely).

QuoteHmm, okay, didn't like Enlightenment or Spirit? How about "Mushin?"

Interesting... Hmmm... I like that!  Even if I don't use that for the name of "Power" (formerly "Crunch"), I'll probably stick that in there somewhere.

Quote from: PalaskarI gotta say, I love your ideas of kickers which happen in the background regardless of PC actions, and the "grey areas" idea. Can I borrow them for the latest revision of my house system, Signature?

Thanks, dude!  Uh, sure, I guess- I mean, it's just my take on a relationship I found with Kickers and Bangs from Sorcerer, and I plan to make plain my influence in the work itself (complete with Thanx section, etc).

QuoteAs for the Destiny/Counter-Destiny thing, after reading your game, I'd totally go for Counter-Destiny if you want a strong Narrative bent to your game.

Yep.  That's the trick, though, right? Figuring out how to make it work. :-)

I have a few ideas at this point, and will try them out as I playtest in the coming weeks.

Thanks, all!

PS: Rice paper in a printer: Depends on the printer.  Some inks bleed too much. :)
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.