News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Questions about TFoB combat rules

Started by Ben Lehman, July 29, 2003, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

Split from:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=7354

refers to

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=5194&highlight=

Quote from: Brian Leybourne
Quote from: Ben LehmanBrian, what is the present state of Mass Combat rules, given our discussion in that thread?

They still need a fair bit of work (and a lot of polishing; when I develop I do it in "stream of consciousness" typing so it's messy and concepts are all over the place, which is why it's not in a state to show anyone yet) but I would say 70% complete.

BL>  Been there.  Good lord, I've been there.  Good luck, and go with God.

But, I actually meant more with regard to:
1) The relationship between character skill and player skill and
2) The relationship between the mass combat mechanics and the duelling ones.

Of course, I understand if you don't want to talk about something that you're in the process of designing...  I'm just curious if your design aesthetic remains the same.  I don't mean to bring up disagreements -- I'm really just curious as to the nature of your approach.

yrs--
--Ben

Brian Leybourne

The approach Jake and I discussed a while back when I started on them was to keep the "feel" of the melee combat rules in mass combat.

So, in terms of player skill vs. character skill I'm gunning for the same level as in melee combat. In this context, character skill of course revolves not only around indicidual characters in the battle but also around commanders (assuming they're not the PC's anyway) and the troops themselves.

As regards the mechanics, there are (currently) a set of mechanics that are very like the individual melee ones, and also a simpler set for skirmish and/or very large battle conflict. Strategy, leadership, tactics, logistics, they're all being worked in there also, but I'm trying to tread a fine line between realism and fun, and not bogging the PC's (and Seneschal) down in endless numbers and charts, which is all too easy to accidentally do when you're dealing with mass combat.

For those familiar with other systems, there's some elements of Pendragon in there, some elements of 7th Sea, plus a few others you may never have heard of and of course my own rather febrile mind.

But yeah, I don't want to go into too much detail because of course anything can change at any time. As I get nearer a finished product though, I will invite some forum members to help playtest and polish, if you like (and if Jake is cool with that). I've already had some input from Lance, for example.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Brian LeybourneCool Stuff...

BL>  Sweet.

yrs--
--Ben