News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Cut and Thrust proficiency

Started by MonkeyWrench, August 02, 2003, 12:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyWrench

Sorry if this has been covered before but........Does the cut and thrust proficiency cover any sword used with any dagger or just a cut and thrust sword with a parrying dagger? I have players squirming in their seats to use two weapons, just not two rapiers. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
-Jim

Lance D. Allen

I use a short sword and arming glove with the Cut and Thrust proficiency.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Southpaw

My character uses a scimitar and a poniard or a buckler with the Cut and Thrust prof. I think the proficiencies were meant to define how you fight rather than limit you to a specific weapon.
"Catches BULLETS with his TEETH?!? Nigga, please!!"

Ashren Va'Hale

its not the weapon you use but how you use it that the proficiency covers. Example, I had an odeon barbarian who useed a club with the longsword proficiency. the make and style decided the proficiency.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

MonkeyWrench

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of wanted others opinions on the subject. Is there anyone here who has made up their own proficiencies?
-Jim

Durgil

Quote from: SouthpawMy character uses a scimitar and a poniard or a buckler with the Cut and Thrust prof.
I've only seen a few pictures of a scimitar, but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing thrusting with one.  Is that really possible with that type of weapon?
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Lance D. Allen

I think it would still be based from a cut and thrust style, but with extreme bias toward the cut side of things.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Durgil

I was just looking at the weapon section in the back of the book, and there is a thrusting DR for scimitars, so I guess you can.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

MonkeyWrench

I always figured thrusting with a scimitar would be a last resort sort of thing, and harder than the ATN would suggest.
-Jim

Jake Norwood

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Draigh

unless I'm mistaken, you could also half-sword to some extent with a scimitar by grabbing the "spine" of the blade... I would think that with the right size scimitar, you could also use the longsword/greatsword proficiency.
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.