News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Understanding Spiritual Attributes

Started by Nicolas Crost, August 04, 2003, 11:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Nicolas CrostWell, this still doesn´t solve my problem.

The point is (regarding level 2): when should the player get any bonuses? When the situation the player likes happenes? What about destiny then? Does the player get a bonus for achieving the destiny or for working towards the destiny or even for trying to defy his destiny? That my basic problem with this level of SAs.

Now that I think about it: It might be possible to divide the second level in two kinds of SAs: goals the player wants his character to achieve and event he wants to happen to the character?
What do you all think? Might this be a good approach? If so, when should the SAs "kick in" regarding an OOC goal?

Nicolas

I think you're getting it, Nicolas. SA's are about what the "authors" (Players) want their characters to experience in a world that's not entirely under authorial control. I think it's part motivation, personally.

When do the points come in? I'd say that with destiny it's any time the destiny becomes the focus of a roll or event. If the player is leading his character towards that destiny, then he gets the bonus dice, regardless of what the character wants. That may mean that the player and the GM/Seneschal have to agree on what is and isn't bringing the character closer to the destiny. Generosity is encouraged, IMO.

Are the character's actions motivated by a given SA? If so, they get the points. That's my take on it.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant