News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Becoming Undead

Started by dyjoots, August 04, 2003, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyjoots

cross posted to RPGnet:

i've read through the section in Sorcerer and Sword about Necromancy, and it seems to have some quit interesting ramifications, but i have some questions about the reasoning behind certain mechanics:

1) Why would anyone want to do this, first of all? it seems like the only benefit is a possible increase in attributes. is there something else i'm missing?
2) it seems that having a more powerful Token (i.e. having more dice stored in it) makes you more likely to fail the Will and Stamina rolls, effectively negating the only advantage i've seen to becoming undead. why would that be?
3)When determining the newly undead's Power, why would you add the absolute value of Price to it? i can't think of a reason why having a great disability makes you a more powerful undead than having a small disability...

can anyone illuminate me?  thanks!
-- Chris Rogers

Trevis Martin

The most obvious benifit to a sorcerer would be that of not dying.  Not naturally anyway. Or assurance that if they were killed that they would be back.  Plus you are treated as a demon in game terms.

Check out this thread for some comments on it.

On the price thing I can't for sure answer except that the price is some area of effectiveness that the sorcerer essentially sacrificed in order to do sorcery.  Once you have converted yourself into a lich (essentially a demon in game terms), there is no price applicable.     The price becomes your undead state so the previous price is added back in (its rarely higher than 1 anyway.)

Hope that helps.

regards,

Trevis

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Trevis is referencing the More errata for Sorcerer? thread.

"Why would anyone want to do this?" is an interesting question for role-playing. I turn it around a little ... given that this is how it works (in this game), then do you want to do it? For some people, they say, "Cool, sure," and others say, "Nuh-uh."

In other words, it's perfectly all right for you, or anyone, to see these rules as something you "don't want to do." It's not really an issue of benefit or lack of benefit to the character, beyond the immunity to death by aging.

Best,
Ron