News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Audience stance???

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, October 15, 2001, 12:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Spencer Jr

psst, Ron.  Click the little arrow at the bottom of the the page and you can move the thread to RPG Theory.  No muss.  No fuss.  No need for a brand new thread.I'd do it, but you need to be a forum moderator to do it.  WHich you are.

That said, after much thought I can't see a use for an Audience Stance since any of the possible things Audience can do would also fall under one of the other stances.

The only possibility is essentially actor stance without a character.  This is something I'm trying to nail the text for The Wheel, so I'll put it in that game's context.

Essentially, as one player is telling his character's story, the other players watch.  All they can do is ask questions to clairify the seen, such as description to help visualize.  Of course the other players can go into author or director stance at any time by spending tokens to introduce their own character to a scene, take the role of an NPC, Object to or Suggest an event and so on.  But until they do, they're stuck in a null mode of observing the scene as it plays out, but unable to effect it as an Author or Director.

Maybe this isn't worth having as a stance, at least not until a game besides mine makes serious use for it.  (Once is coincidence, three times is enemy action?  I forget.)  However, maybe a stance description here is worthwhile because the players aren't doing nothing as they sit there.  Or they aren't reading or doodling on their character sheet like I tend to do while I play D&D and my character isn't present.

I don't know.  Is it?

Clinton R. Nixon

Already taken care of it. :smile:
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games