News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

You guys are nutz

Started by Dav, August 04, 2003, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdagna

Quote from: Jeffrey MillerJustin D., you had some success using the open gaming space in the hall, didn't you? I don't recall if that was something you organized or was spontaneous, but I did see people with Pax Draconis material floating around.

We used a couple of places to run demos, starting in the open gaming room (#140) and then we took over some empty tables in the dealer hall.  Two of the guys we brought specifically to run demos, but we had a third guy volunteer to help a couple of days into the con.

I got sort of mixed results because one of my demo guys insisted on doing his own thing - namely, running games around the clock for the same four people.  Naturally, those four had a great time, but he didn't reach as many people as he would have if he'd stuck to the 5-minute demo he was supposed to be doing.  The other demo guy more or less stuck to the plan which helped.

I think having demo people in open gaming went very well for us.  For one, it was free space.  For another, people showing up to open gaming are generally bored and looking to do anything.  Its distance from the gaming hall was probably a limitation though.

One thing that both of them did to help sales was to ask if people wanted to buy, and then offer walk them back to the booth.  Ostensibly, this was so they wouldn't get lost.  In a marketing sense it 1) gave us another 5 minutes to sell the game 2) kept the person's attention on us and 3) held the person accountable to a verbal promise to buy.  And all in a friendly way (since they could say no and find their own way to the booth).

It's my opinion that demo games are the best way to sell a game, though I'm always looking at other options...
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

Ron Edwards

Hello,

This thread is wandering badly, folks.

1. Some kind of sex & socializing activity with a stack of games on the side.

2. Demonstration sessions as a foundation for sales, either at a booth in the exhibit hall or at some demo room venue.

Two different things. I think it's time to call this thread closed, put on the "H'mmm" caps, and let the topic bake for a bit.

Best,
Ron