News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Etiquette quesiton specific to Indie Game Design Forums

Started by AgentFresh, August 07, 2003, 01:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentFresh

I'm not sure if I should post this HERE or in the section about Site Issues. I'm posting it here because it concerns this seciton and I don't know if the regulars here read the Site Issues stuff.

I was bouncing some ideas about a setting I'm working on off someone via IRC, and they suggested that some time spent at the Forge would serve me well.

So, here I am.

The issue: I notice that he topic here is GAME design. Right now, I'm not sure if the project I'm working on will be a stand-alone game, a suppliement for a pre-existing open system OR a system-free setting.

I guess I'm technically SETTING designing for the time being. Do I need to do that someplace else, or would this section be a good place to hammer out the setting and decide which route to take it?
<>< Jason Sims, just some guy from Hypebomb.com

IndieNetgaming: where RPG Theory becomes Actual Play

taalyn

Welcome to the Forge!

It really doesn't matter, as long as it's related to some specific game, whether your own, or comeone else's. Settings, supplements, and actual games all belong here.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I'll amend Aidan's statement a little. By the way, I'm Ron, the content moderator for all the forums in this part of the website (the general ones). So this is the straight dope.

1. At this point, you're working on a setting. If I read you correctly, it might be used as part of a game design. As long as that "might" applies, then it's OK to discuss it here, as if that were going to be the case.

2. However, the minute it's clear that you're working on this setting for purposes of play using another game, or just as a thought-exercise, then it's time to move to Actual Play or, perhaps, RPG Theory, depending on how abstract the question is.

You're always free to private-message me if you're unsure which forum to post in. I'm pretty nice about that kind of stuff.

Best,
Ron

AgentFresh

...and the info.

There's some impressive stuff here. I hope to have something up in the next day or so. I've got a few major choices to make that will plot the course for everything after and I need some insight.
<>< Jason Sims, just some guy from Hypebomb.com

IndieNetgaming: where RPG Theory becomes Actual Play