News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Monsters&Mustard Gas: Narrowing it down

Started by AgentFresh, August 12, 2003, 12:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Quote from: AgentFreshI think looking at the setting specific issues (magic system, humans changing into non-humans, the changing world) in regards to the rules is also a wise suggestion. That'll answer some important questons and make sure that the system supports the kind of stories I'd like to see people be able to tell.
The way I've been envisioning this stuff, involves some sort of... (hey!) Humanity attribute, that people run the risk of reducing when they use magic or magical devices (or just plain old 20th-century war technology to a lesser degree).  I might also suggest the ability to "sell off" some of that Humanity in order to turn failures into successes or successes into bigger successes.  And if your focus ends up being on the inner worlds of the characters, I don't think the magic system in and of itself needs to be much (other than some general guidelines of what magic can and can't do -- given my druthers, I'd say it does the same things early 20th century battle technology can do, only "more so").  Ultimately, at least in the mechanical scenario I'm suggesting, it's main purpose is as a tool of temptation, one that can win the day but at the cost of your soul.

I'll leave it to people more familiar with Sorceror than I am, to judge whether or not this notion fits with that game or not. :)

AgentFresh

iago: From what I can see, I think our druthers are similar. I think you'll like it, if and when it's finished.
<>< Jason Sims, just some guy from Hypebomb.com

IndieNetgaming: where RPG Theory becomes Actual Play

simon_hibbs

Quote from: AgentFresh
In the interest of accuracy, it's World War I, 1914-1918 (not that clearing that up would make someone turned-off by the idea any more interested.)

Sorry, I know it's WW1, but I'm working on a WW2 scenario at the moment and my fingers haven't cought up with my brain yet.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

Thierry Michel

I think option B would be better, as all you need are visuals (rats, fog, craters, barbed wire etc.) and somehow the lack of justification conveys better the absurdity of trench warfare - after all, did the grunts worry about the "why" ?

ross_winn

Quesiton is: do I just start writing? Do I get started on the system? Do I hammer out the setting? Do I immerse myself in WWI history?

I don't want to clog up the forums further until I've got something of substance to show.

Any ideas on how to jump in?

I have always had the most success in writing the setting first and using that work to determine the 'pivots' (my term) that you want to use for mechanics to reinforce or illuminate.

fr'instance: You write a long piece about how the men fall ill to the 'taint' and you may want a 'humanity' mechanic for the player=characters to illustrate this. So you know that humanity will be addressed mechanically, you just have to discover, or find out, how.
Ross Winn
ross_winn@mac.com
"not just another ugly face..."

AgentFresh

simon_hibbs wrote:

QuoteSorry, I know it's WW1, but I'm working on a WW2 scenario at the moment and my fingers haven't cought up with my brain yet.

Don't worry about it. My wires often get crossed...that's how I came up with the idea for this setting, in fact.

Thierry Michel wrote:

QuoteI think option B would be better, as all you need are visuals (rats, fog, craters, barbed wire etc.) and somehow the lack of justification conveys better the absurdity of trench warfare - after all, did the grunts worry about the "why" ?

Good points...which is why I was torn. If the only option Players had was to play grunts, I might be more likely to go this route. I want to give the Players an interesting setting that could acomodate many roles and goals.

Also, like I said, anyone who wants to run it under Option B, can just take the trappings and disregard the history.

Btw, I think France is going to be the focal point of my setting. Maybe you can give me tips when I get to that part?

ross_winn wrote:
QuoteI have always had the most success in writing the setting first and using that work to determine the 'pivots' (my term) that you want to use for mechanics to reinforce or illuminate.

Oddly enough, following this path has actually led me to tangling with the rules first. This may be because it's been a while since I've sat down and worked out fresh mechanics. It may also be because this is my weakest point.

Maybe it's like finishing your dinner so you can have ice cream?

I do want the rules and setting work together like a .30 Caliber Machine gun and an ammo belt. I pretty much know what I want to get out of the setting. I've yet to fully figure out how to make the rules encourage that.

Thanks for the comments as always. Hope to have something to show you for your troubles soon.

ross_winn

I stole the tagline from Emily, and I do so with all due respect...

do be do be dooo...

If the game is primarily centered in a North American audience I generally think this is a very risky proposition. Aside from the obvious anti-french sentiments reverberating in North America recently. The only other game that uses France as its central power tanked. Largely because there was no emotional relationship with the audience to the setting. That was Traveller: 2300.

In a perfect world it wouldn't matter, but hey, this isn't.
Ross Winn
ross_winn@mac.com
"not just another ugly face..."

AgentFresh

ross_winn wrote:

QuoteIf the game is primarily centered in a North American audience I generally think this is a very risky proposition. Aside from the obvious anti-french sentiments reverberating in North America recently. The only other game that uses France as its central power tanked. Largely because there was no emotional relationship with the audience to the setting. That was Traveller: 2300.

France is the location, not the major power. Mostly you'll see bits of France being blown up and such. Other locations will be developed, but I think the HQ of the protagonist force will be in France, but that doesn't mean the protagonists are French. There will be plenty of hooks for North Americans like myself.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the emotional connection won't be about where a human is from, but that they are a human who's in a changing world. Or a human who's becoming something other than human. I think any contemporary human can relate to that.

It'd be neat if the audience was the world, but I don't know much about the world gaming culture.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

Thierry Michel

Btw, I think France is going to be the focal point of my setting. Maybe you can give me tips when I get to that part?

Sure, I even have second-hand knowledge (my grandfather lost fingers at Verdun and lived very very old to tell me about it).

AgentFresh

NEXT PHASE:

I have done a lot of disecting and theorizing and absorbing of good feedback. I have done some writing, testing and plan making.

Now, I'm gonna let it digest.

I'm gonna get back to playing and try to GM a game of something else to get my perspective on things. To remember what I like about other RPGs and what I think is broken.

THANKS AGAIN.

This should be my last word on this game until I have a draft ready for your consideration.