News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Weyrth] The Fey: a Question

Started by Nero's Boot, August 17, 2003, 02:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero's Boot

I have read in many places online that the faerie folk in Weyrth are an elusive, mysterious lot that that is more myth than reality to the natives of that world.  My question is simple: why is that?  Are the Fey naturally reclusive, or do they inhabit some enchanted Otherworld, such as Tir na'Nog?  Could adventurers wandering far enough find the kingdoms of the Fey, or would they literally have to find a portal to some "Otherworld"?

--slayer of Fomorians NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY PLAYING: D&D v3.5.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

Draigh

If I'm not mistaken, it's because they're naturallly reclusive... I don't know what kind of concepts Jake had for the otherworld,  or the faerie realms, or if they even exist.  But, they do in my game.  Secluded glades, mountaintops, swamps, dark caves... basically any place that would inspire emotion in the real world, should inspire emotion in your game... I think of it like this.. In a world without electric lights and tvs and all of the modern crap to clutter up our heads, what would you fear/love/etc.  These places are all magical, and possibly links to "the otherworld". My world's a little more feral than Weyrth... but anyway, I'm rambling, and I've gotta jet...

Possibly more to come soon...
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.

Lance D. Allen

Yes. Both answers are true.

It is possible for wandering mortals to find the living places of the Fey (as if the Glamours woven by the sentinels would allow that to happen...) within the world, but they also may inhabit a world of their own, Tir na'Nog, Arcadia, or whatever you choose to call it. They probably have some sort of bond to the world of men that keeps them coming back.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Nero's Boot

Cool beans!

--are the Fey illusionists, then NB
CURRENTLY PLAYING: Torg 1.0; Changeling: The Dreaming Time of Judgment; and Sorcerer.
CURRENTLY READING: Underground core rulebook; My Life with Master; and Stormbringer 5e corebook.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Nero's Boot--are the Fey illusionists, then NB

Yup. All fey are skilled in glamour magic.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Nero's Boot

Cool beans!

My only real experience with the Fey have been with two White Wolf games: Changeling: The Dreaming, and Exalted.

In Exalted, the Fey are embodiments of chaos that are utterly incapable of seeing concepts like "right and wrong", "reward and punishment," and "good and evil."  The only thing Exalted's Fair Folk understood was "power and ambition," and "fun and boring."  They sought to drag the world into pure primal chaos.

Behavior-wise, how close are Weyrth's Fey to Exalted's Fair Folk?  Are they just as beyond human morality?

--fear the Wee Folk NB

Mike Holmes

They're left fairly undefined here. That is, some are described as fairly "earthly", and other's as much more "out there" in terms of their beliefs and attitudes. So it's probably up to the player in question to define just what their fae character believes (or the GM for NPCs).

Given that characters have SAs (Spriritual Attributes), you're going to have a character with a believable set of values of some sort. Fae have these no different from humans. So that ought to say something.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Swordmagnet

The Fey in TROS are based upon the Siehe(pronounced Shee-hee) of Ireland and to a lesser extent the elves of Middle Earth. There are three types: the Fey which are basically elves, the seelie which are mischievious but relatively harmless sprites and such, and the unseelie( or goblins) which use glamour magic to harm mortals. All of them hide from Humans because of mistrust and, generally, non-interest in Human affairs( when you're immortal and think in terms of decades and centuries what do you care if a kingdom is overthrown every 10 years?).

Fey characters are definately difficult to play because their SA's can be almost alien compared to a Humans, so should be played by the most experienced players. OBAM has some good decriptions of Fey, particularly Swamp Sprites, Gremlins, and Troglodytes.
Damn, sword cuts hurt!