News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What is a Mechanic?

Started by Jack Spencer Jr, August 25, 2003, 01:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cemendur

Actually, in everyday usage, mechanics can be used singular or plural. I agree that a mechanic is a worker skilled in making or repairing machines and tools.

In psychology, mechanism means the automatic and consistent response of an organism to various stimuli. This might have an application here too.

Walt, I will respect your quarky use of mechanism as singular for mechanics. If we can come to a consensus on using the quantum mechanics model, I would be thrilled.

Also, method is excellent. Do you mean to use it for means which are not mechanics. Or do you mean to use it for the overall category of mechanics and non-mechanics?
"We have to break free of roles by restoring them to the realm of play." Raoul Vaneigem, 'The Revolution of Everyday Life'

Cemendur

Irregardless of what we call them, here are the things that I believe we are trying to name.

Resolution
A) Resolution Mechanics
A1) Fortune Resolution Mechanics
A2) Karma Resolution Mechanics
B) Drama Resolution Methods (Role-playing Resolution Methods)

For me mechanics are the fortune and karma of a RPG. They are a consistent set of responses. I also think this is common gamerspeak. I think Drama Resolution Methods deserve their own language.

[System[Rules[Resolution]]]
"We have to break free of roles by restoring them to the realm of play." Raoul Vaneigem, 'The Revolution of Everyday Life'

Erick Wujcik

Quote from: Jack Spencer Jr...what constitues a mechanic or not. This seems like an worthwhile topic to discuss.

From the on-line version of the Oxford English Dictionary:

============

mechanic, a. and n.

B. n.

II. Senses relating to machines or mechanisms. See also MECHANICS n.

6. A device, method, means.

1924 M. W. BECKWITH Jamaica Anansi Stories 122 So lot of men went to the house an' try all sort of mechanic; the chil' wouldn't talk... 1990 Games Rev. Jan. 51/1 This is a neat game mechanic which should have been ripped off by more games designers.

============

Erick

[/b]
Erick Wujcik
Phage Press
P.O. Box 310519
Detroit  MI  48231-0519 USA
http://www.phagepress.com

Jack Spencer Jr

So mechanic = method in at least definition. Works for me and it avoids the connotations of machinery.