News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Elfs combat

Started by djarb, August 23, 2003, 11:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djarb

We ran our first Elfs game yesterday, and had a blast. This beautifully irreverant game is definately a keeper. Somehow camels got involved....

It took a while for everybody to get used to the single-roll combat system, but it worked out in the end.

However, we do have a question: when do monsters do damage? Is it when you fail your roll that they automatically hit you , or do they always hit you and failing just costs an extra spunk?

Ron Edwards

Hello,

H'm, I don't have a copy of Elfs with me at the moment. Can someone help out?

Best,
Ron

Alan

Monsters do damage whenever a PC's roll fails.  The default is 1 Spunk unless the monster description indicates more.
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

djarb

Thanks.

Now if I could just convince the others in my group that we can make these decisions for ourselves...

By the way, does anybody have advice for introducing the concept of Narrativism to people who only understand the Gamist or Simulationist modes?

Alan

Quote from: djarbdoes anybody have advice for introducing the concept of Narrativism to people who only understand the Gamist or Simulationist modes?

Don't use Elfs!  

First rule of Narrativism: don't talk about narrativism!

Second rule of Narrativism: don't talk about narrativism!

Third rule of Narrativism: surrender any desire to change others and take the attitude of presenting new dishes at a banquet

Run a game like My Life with Master, Trollbabe, The Riddle of Steel, or The Pool.  Tell em it's just a lark for a couple sessions.  See if anyone's light bulb goes on after a few sessions.  If so, you've got some people who may be interested in exploring that mode more.  If that doesn't happen, just find a good gamist or sim game and enjoy it for what it is.  Seek other players who may share your interest.

Bottom line is this: some people do have strong preferences for sim or gamism and will choose to go back even after being exposed to a new modes.  Myself, I think GNS preferences are both conditioned by game play and also formed by personal preference.   And you know how hard it is to change a personal preference!
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Alan's right - Elfs isn't the choice. Why not? Because Elfs is ... wait for it ... a Gamist-facilitating game. It's built to embrace and mock the relationship between Hard Core Gamism and balls-to-the-wall creativity.

My big recommendation for you is InSpectres.

Best,
Ron

djarb

Well, yeah. We played Elfs because I knew they would "get it."

As to the "don't talk about it" method: my group are open-minded and more than willing to talk about things. They're not children that I need to trick into doing things "my way."

I was just hoping somebody had a suggestion about how to frame the idea of narrativism so that it is easily comprehensible to people who come to the table with a different perspective. Not just what it is, but why somebody would choose to play in that mode.

Clinton R. Nixon

This is getting way off topic, and Ron may choose to split this thread, but:

The concept of "why someone would play in a mode" is alien. It's an exercise in futility. Why?

We play games, participate in other activities, and do things in our life because we like them, because we're drawn to something in them. I play Sorcerer because something in my wiring really digs high-theme, moral stories. I write code for a living because my mind loves to do it. I would not be convinced I would rather dig sod for a living, because I don't enjoy it.

My recommendation is to pick one game that's not too outlandish and just try it. Those who enjoy it will, if that's not too redundant. Trollbabe, for all its narration rules instead of task-resolution rules, is the most "normal" narrative RPG, in my opinion. Try giving it a spin with your group.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

djarb

Ron Edwards

Hi djarb,

Check out the Pitching a "new way" thread. It speaks to exactly what you're asking.

Best,
Ron