News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Octane

Started by Bailywolf, October 17, 2001, 11:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailywolf

Hey, just some mindless adoration...

When Octane Premium Unleaded is finished...

I WILL BUY IT.

It needed to be said.

hardcoremoose

Heh,

I've been spending a lot of time with octaNe lately as well, and must say that I adore it.  Six-string Samurai is a great film, and I just can't get it out of my head while reading Jared's game.

One thing though (and I was going to save this for private e-mail, but I think it could generate some discussion)...

Why have any explanation at all for why the cars are intelligent?  The mythical post-apocalyptic setting is so cool that the short discussion about cars being fitted with AI modules seems out of place.  I liked it better in the first few pages when it was stated that some cars could talk and it was left at that.

Not that you should just leave it at that - the cars are central to the mythos (it's called octaNe for chrissakes) and should be discussed.  But what about the Myths of the Road?

On a related note, another question for Jared: Will Pulp Era cover Pulp Horror as well?  If not, I'd like to take a shot at it.  I've been working on a pulp horror game, but the chargen looks suspiciously like octaNe (I love the way Roles work).

That's it.  Did I mention that I can't wait for The Riddle of Steel?  Oh well, now I have.

Take care,
Scott  

Jared A. Sorensen

Re: cars.

In the short story collection "Car Sininister," there's a weird-ass story about a guy who goes to some strange mechanic to have his car "serviced."

What he doesn't know is that "servicing" cars means something quite different to this mechanic -- he breeds cars. So yeah, this poor guy's car gets pregnant and gives birth...

It's a weird, weird tale.

Anyway, right. The explanation for talking cars in octaNe never sat that well with me. Probably because the rest of the game is so out-there and mythic and unexplained. Plus, the idea that cars used to not be able to talk implies a "past" -- and I don't really want this game to have a past. Just a present and a future.

Re: pulp horror.

There are plenty of pulp horror Roles in the to-be-renamed Pulp Era game -- Occult Investigator and Weird Being being two of the most obvious ones. I see no reason why it (Pulp Era) couldn't be used for that kind of game, with the caveat that the game should be more Kolchak the Night Stalker and less Call of Cthulhu.

Re: Riddle of Steel.

The new name is Blood & Steel and it's done -- just a few pages of supplemental material for the octaNe/Pulp Era system. It's not bad at all. :smile:

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com