News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Single or Double Column?

Started by Matt Gwinn, October 19, 2001, 12:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

I'm doing the layout for Kayfabe and I was curious what people feel is a better layout for a game.  
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Ron Edwards

Size o' the pages? Font? That will make a big difference. Also, what about insert text of any kind, like headers, sidebars, examples, and freak-boxes?

(You know, this is the kind stuff we'll be learning about in a little bit from Emily's column, when it gets to the layout and page-design material. I'm looking forward to that.)

Best,
Ron

Matt Gwinn

Currently Kayfabe is layed out at 8" x 10" with a font size of 12 for standard text and going up to a max of 36 for headlines.

I was just currieous whether their was a preference with everything else being equal.

By the way.  What's a Freak Box?
On sale now at

Chris Passeno

I would say double.  It's easier to read a 3 inch column than it is an 8 inch column.  For example, could you imagine how difficult it would be to read a newspaper if it was one column.

[ This Message was edited by: Passeno on 2001-10-19 16:01 ]

Le Joueur

Don't quote me, but I've read the rule of thumb is make the columns about two and a half alphabets long, give or take.  Does that make your document one or two columns; you decide.

Fang Langford
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

unheilig

two columns.

or you can be tweaky, like GURPS.

two column, on primary, one "sidebar".

unheilig.

Laurel

Another factor I would consider is who is going to be doing the layout?  If its yourself for a download, then the cost of columns is a little extra work on your part.   If you are going a printer, double columns or layout luxuries will cost extra $$$.

Matt Gwinn

I'm doing all the layout myself and it will be for download and later for print.

I've got everything laid out in double cloumns at the moment and it looks pretty nice.  I've also started to get some of the finished art so I'm slowly closing on completion.

Yippie!

,Matt
On sale now at