News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

More Indecision

Started by linux, September 02, 2003, 03:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linux

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of the following problem I have. This pertains to the relationship between skills and attributes in my system. (D denotes things that are definite that I will keep. All else can be changed. Numbers denote problems)

D. Attributes values define the maximum value of a skill in that attributes category. Example: Perception = 45, Awareness <= 45.

1a. Attributes get a bonus to every skill in a category when they reach certain values. Example: Strength = 30, Bonus = 0; Strength = 34, Bonus = +1.

1b. Attributes have no bonus to skills and only define maximum value.

D. Skills fit into a category controlled by at least one attribute. Ex: Running is defined under the Agility attribute and must follow the rule above for max value.

2a. Each skill has one main attribute that defines the maximum value and one secondary attribute that just acts as a bonus. (requires 1a from above) Ex: (main/secondary), Archery (Dexterity/Perception); Dexterity = +2, Perception = +1, Dexterity value = 40. Archery = +3 <= 40.
(Technically, Archery could not increase by more than 37 due to bonus. This is good however, allowing you to start at a higher value, but you then must increase your attribute to have a skill higher than 40. Or I could leave that out and make the max 43, yet another problem.)

2b. Each skill has one main attribute that defines max value /and bonus.

Sorry if this is a bit wordy, or in the wrong forum.
"Oh, thems me brain meats." - Fighter, after being stabbed by Black Mage.
http://www.nuklearpower.com

Callan S.

Quote from: linuxI am trying to weigh the pros and cons of the following problem I have. This pertains to the relationship between skills and attributes in my system. (D denotes things that are definite that I will keep. All else can be changed. Numbers denote problems)

D. Attributes values define the maximum value of a skill in that attributes category. Example: Perception = 45, Awareness <= 45.

1a. Attributes get a bonus to every skill in a category when they reach certain values. Example: Strength = 30, Bonus = 0; Strength = 34, Bonus = +1.

1b. Attributes have no bonus to skills and only define maximum value.

Con: When it comes to fixing a badly behaved computer for eg, brainy guy and gump are both equal. Only training makes a difference...brainy guy actually has to train to beat a gump. He can't just be brainy and be ahead by some small degree already.

D. Skills fit into a category controlled by at least one attribute. Ex: Running is defined under the Agility attribute and must follow the rule above for max value.

You might want to do that for physical skills. But I prefer the way blue planet and some other systems do it for other skills, the GM calls the applicable stat on each application. For example, brain surgery. Yes, it should be about intelligence, but what about the fine motor work involved as well? Have a brain surgeon with shakey parkinsons desease type hands should be a no no.

2a. Each skill has one main attribute that defines the maximum value and one secondary attribute that just acts as a bonus. (requires 1a from above) Ex: (main/secondary), Archery (Dexterity/Perception); Dexterity = +2, Perception = +1, Dexterity value = 40. Archery = +3 <= 40.
(Technically, Archery could not increase by more than 37 due to bonus. This is good however, allowing you to start at a higher value, but you then must increase your attribute to have a skill higher than 40. Or I could leave that out and make the max 43, yet another problem.)

2b. Each skill has one main attribute that defines max value /and bonus.

Sorry if this is a bit wordy, or in the wrong forum.

2a sounds fine, but I'm not for fixed attribute+skill combinations. Skills can be expressed in a lot of different ways.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>