News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Can someone explain some things

Started by MonkeyWrench, September 10, 2003, 10:48:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyWrench

I've recently decided to step out of the Riddle of Steel forum and explore the rest of the site and I'm afraid I need some terms explained to me so that I can somehow share them with my current group.
What is G/N/S? I understand the basic terms and that they somehow correlate to methods of play, but beyond that I'm clueless. Where did the terms come from? How would you go about explaining it to others?
My second question...are there any other terms I should be familiar with? I think that being familiar with the terminology on the Forge will help me grow as a roleplayer and help me improve as a GM. Thanks.
-Jim

MachMoth

<Shameless Plug>
http://machmoth.tripod.com/rpg">Cracked RPG Experiment
</Shameless Plug>

ethan_greer

Hi there, welcome!

As sort of a primer, you can also look at System Does Matter. This is a good intro to the basic concepts of the theory.

W. Don

Hello and welcome, MonkeyWrench.

Quote from: youHow would you go about explaining it to others?

These threads might help:

Difficulties Advocating Forge Schtuff
Introducing Narrativist (sic) Gaming to The Ol' Group

I've also found Chris Chinn's (Bankuei) Ways To Play articles over at RPG.net to be quite accessible for the non-theorist; applied Narrativism if you will, sans jargon, with some very practical guidelines on using this particular mode of play in your own game.

Oh, and: Here's some interesting Riddle of Steel schtuff you may have missed: Unstated Bits of TROS

Edited to add: Found one more that might help you, in case you're wondering about The Impossible Thing: The Impossible Thing. I found that thread helped really some bits of the theory for me.

Cheers,

- W.

Ron Edwards

Hi MW,

The thread to see is GNS - what is it?.

Hey everyone, it's up to the individual, of course, but I really think that thread is the best go-to for the curious.

Best,
Ron

MachMoth

Just call it a hunch, but maybe the GNS forum should have a sticky with beginner's links to GNS stuff.  When I first joined, I never even thought to look in the resource section :P
<Shameless Plug>
http://machmoth.tripod.com/rpg">Cracked RPG Experiment
</Shameless Plug>

MonkeyWrench

Thanks for the links everyone, I'm slowly working my way through them so I can absorb it all.

Quote from: MachMothJust call it a hunch, but maybe the GNS forum should have a sticky with beginner's links to GNS stuff

This would be a very good idea.
-Jim