News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Covering Your Bases

Started by hix, August 26, 2003, 03:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Huh, I think you're right (I think I was just simplifying). But the point remains, what's the point of spending Coins on Take Overs? There's nothing really to visualize when activating Traits, IMO.

"I activate Aragorn's Destiny to be King Trait to help Boromir, I get one die."

Nothing happens until the dice are rolled. In fact, I've seen people try to play advancing things, and it only leads to impossible cases.

For instance, if I activate a character's Fly Fastx2 to get rid of a bomb, and say that he's flying it away, then I've changed the context of the bomb complication. Which can be tactical itself, which makes it really problematic. Narrate as little in terms of "results" as possible when activating Traits. The only case you need to make is that of plausibility of activation.

Does that make any more sense? Like I said, it really doesn't matter whether characters change sides. I just don't see how it pertains. I mean, do I have to take control to activate sword skill Traits plausibly, but not Take Over to activate a wound Trait? Or does it make sense to do it both times? Where do you draw the line?

I mean, if it somehow makes sense to you to do the Take Overs, well go ahead (it seems you have the default rules on your side). I'm just not sure what the point is in terms of a Complication. If you Take Over Aragorn, I'm still activating his Destiny Trait. :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.