News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Going down in flames

Started by MonkeyWrench, August 30, 2003, 11:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyWrench

My current group bit the dust last night. It's been coming for a long time now but last night was the last night we'll probably play as a group. Oh well, dammit. The LGS's gamers classifieds only have people looking for DnD or CCGs so it looks like I'm without TROS. Dammit.
-Jim

Draigh

You've gotta get out there and preach to the masses brotha!  Start to convertin' them poor lost souls, in the name of Jakesus!!!

Seriously man... there's gotta be at least a couple of people at your LGS that have the bitter taste of too many regurgitated fighters in their mouth... seek them out.
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.

Brian Leybourne

Hmm.. well, you could play with us, but the commute would be a bitch :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

prophet118

Quote from: MonkeyWrenchMy current group bit the dust last night. It's been coming for a long time now but last night was the last night we'll probably play as a group. Oh well, dammit. The LGS's gamers classifieds only have people looking for DnD or CCGs so it looks like I'm without TROS. Dammit.
then advertise for a TROS group

the only reason you see DND and CCG (which im a little shocked on), is that people cant get games otherwise... they are just trying for anything...

post up an awesome ad for TROS, and watch the people flock to something different..
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

MonkeyWrench

I've had an add up for a week or so. In the mean time I've had to start playing with a group of people who play DnD (gasp!). My main problem is that I just NEED to play, it's a damn fire inside me or something. However hope is not lost as I made the character in TROS then converted him to DnD, so at least he's well thought out and three dimensional.

Lets hope some people see my flyer.
-Jim

prophet118

contact me off board, i can design you somthing eye catching, if you like...

i do computer graphics

prophet@hiwaay.net

(ps, no charge or anything, just trying to be helpful)
"Congratulations you have won, its a years subscription of bad puns.."

Check out my art site! http://prophet118.deviantart.com
Wanna Buy a Poster?  http://www.deviantprints.com/~prophet118/

Swordmagnet

My group will probably not last much longer, too many players stuck in their old rpg mindsets. They keep losing characters, despite my mantra of :"I'm not here to stop you from doing anything. I'm just here to kill you when you do something stupid".

The good news is today I converted a D20 player(and long-time friend) to TROS. With him and another good friend the new group is shaping up to be the kind sagas are sung of.
Damn, sword cuts hurt!

Bankuei

Hi SM,

Have you considered that the adversarial attitude about your players may not be the best for them?  They may have had years of "I hit, you hit" mentality drilled into them.  What would probably be a good idea is to tutor them on the basics of TROS combat strategies, and play your NPCs about at about 50-75% of "intelligent" tactics.  What also assists folks in making the transition is if you have a mentor NPC who also fights alongside the PCs and does all the smart stuff they SHOULD be doing, as an example.

Chris

Spartan

Quote from: SwordmagnetMy group will probably not last much longer, too many players stuck in their old rpg mindsets.

Old habits die hard, and characters born of them die quickly. ;)

I like Bankuei's advice.  TROS and other games like it contain hard lessons for those not used to them.  Sometimes an "old hand" played by the GM is a good way to help them along when a simple tutorial isn't enough for the players to grok what's going on.  There have been favourite NPC party members in many of the campaigns I've run and played in, and we still talk about them years later.  In deadly systems like TROS and HârnMaster, RM and C&S, these types of NPCs are especially useful.

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Territan

Here's the way the situation breaks for me:

I've been playing with a certain group of people for a long time, in some cases up to twenty years. I'd call them "Real Roleplayer" grade people, capable of creating personalities for characters and sticking to them. And we're willing to play a wide range of games.

But we start on a game and tend to stick with it, and we get so many people willing to run so many different things that we tend to have a tight rotation.

I myself have started getting much deeper into various indie games (thanks to the links on the forge), and have several things I want to try to run for the guys ...when my turn comes around again in several months.

I still can't run it for people for a very long time, but it's for completely different reasons...