News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Power levels

Started by Pilgrim, September 08, 2003, 12:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilgrim

Matthew,
Is there any chance we can get power levels ranging from typical human, to nymph, to monster, to demi-god, to godling? Something that helps rough out the power levels of the opposition would help a great deal with the playtest, as well as judging what level of opponent to throw at the PCs.
Thanks,
--
Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike
Exos integro, sugiliato curatio, y femellas amo cicatrix.

Matt Snyder

Sure, here's one a run down of some Power ratings for various entities. These can vary according the GM's needs, of course:

Normal "sleeper" human: 2-3
Aware (NOT archon) human: 4
A minor titan spawn (harpy or something similar): 6
A major titan spawn (hydra): 10
An Atlantean corsair crew: 8
An Atlantean corsair captain: 10
An aether storm: 8-12
A titan (like Atlas): 15
An eternal: 16+
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Pilgrim

--
Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike

Pilgrim

Matt,
I've been playing around with power levels a bit and noticed a gap between the aether storm and titans. Is that deliberate on your part?
Just curious,
--

Matt Snyder

I'm not sure what you're asking. Can you clarify?

Aether storms Power ratings vary greatly, depending on the area and dramatic need. They are, in effect, the actions of a "dead" Titan and Eternal, so the sky's the limit, so to speak. The aether is capable of epic destruction. Adjust Power levels accordingly.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Pilgrim

Actually, I'm asking about the gap between the upper limit of the aether storm (12) and the titans (15). Was that a deliberate choice?

On a related note, what would the power value range of a world be? 20? Or more? This can be important given that their primarch's can weild them as a talisman (and a darn good reason for keeping a low profile until you've acquired more power), and since the power of a Eternal can be 16+, this can mean drawing the attention of an Eternal on his home ground is a bad idea.
--

Matt Snyder

Quote from: PilgrimActually, I'm asking about the gap between the upper limit of the aether storm (12) and the titans (15). Was that a deliberate choice?

Oh, I gotcha. Well, the power list is merely a tool for playtesting GMs. By all means, adjust to your whim and need.

I made the "max" storm power lower than a Titan's rating because the impersonal Aether typically isn't as important as a character with emotions, like a titan. Therefore, titans are more powerful because they're more likely to be involved in climactic resolutions, whereas aether storms are more likely to be complications along the way.

QuoteOn a related note, what would the power value range of a world be? 20? Or more? This can be important given that their primarch's can weild them as a talisman

Yes, an Eternal might have a Power of, say, 18, while the world could have even more -- perhaps up to 20. I need to playtest some of this, of course.

Quote... since the power of a Eternal can be 16+, this can mean drawing the attention of an Eternal on his home ground is a bad idea.

Precisely. You're going to NEED powerful Muses to even try.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra