News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Heroes of the New Wave

Started by GMSkarka, September 08, 2003, 02:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen

Quote from: godfather punkIn your example you talk about a 'difficulty number', which is used as a multiplier to calculate the chance of success.  So the lower the value of Difficulty is, the harder it is to perform the task.  This could lead to confusion.  Wouldn't it be better to rename this term from 'Difficulty number' to 'Chance multiplier' or such?  

(In JB007 the term used for this parameter was 'Ease Factor'.)

A good point, but I don't think it'll be a showstopper -- D&Ders lived for years with the notion of lower ACs being better, right into the negatives, and that seemed to do all right.

What about "[X]-Rate Feat"?  So a First-Rate Feat is the hardest thing you can pull off (multiplier x1), Second-Rate and Third-Rate aren't quite so hard (x2 and x3), all the way down to Tenth-Rate (x10).
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

GMSkarka

Ya know, that's a really good point.   I hadn't considered that, but it is a little bit counter-intuitive.

I'll have to give that terminology some thought...whereas I like Stephen's "First Rate" suggestion, as a HUGE Napoleonics fan, I'm afraid that for me, Rates will always refer to the different classes of sailing vessels and their armaments.  :)

GMS
Gareth-Michael Skarka
Adamant Entertainment
gms@adamantentertainment.com

Stephen

What about First-Class, Second-Class, Third-Class etc?

I'd actually originally thought of this, but nobody ever uses the phrases "seventh-class feat" or "tenth-class feat".  "Rate" seems to be far more commonly used for numbers above three.

There's also "rank", "order", "water" as possibilities, but those don't quite fit a pulp/80s sensibility, terminology-wise.
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

gamerguy

I love the idea, actually I had discussed this with my pulp gamers, that the pulps were contemporary stories when they were written.

I joined this board to try to dissuade you from using multiplication during the game (mathmatically challenged), but the idea of having a multiplication table on the character sheet is a great idea!

All the best on your new game!

GMSkarka

Quote from: gamerguyI love the idea, actually I had discussed this with my pulp gamers, that the pulps were contemporary stories when they were written.

I joined this board to try to dissuade you from using multiplication during the game (mathmatically challenged), but the idea of having a multiplication table on the character sheet is a great idea!

All the best on your new game!

Thanks!

Hope to see you around more often, now that we've hooked ya!   (Bwah-ha-ha, etc.)

(Love the sig quote, by the way.)

GMS
Gareth-Michael Skarka
Adamant Entertainment
gms@adamantentertainment.com

Little_Rat

I don't regularly migrate over here but I wondered what the New Wave was... then I realized it was refering to my favorite type of music.
Seems like a really neat concept, though I wonder if it could be expanded out to do less '80's pulp and more into the Weird Science/Real Genius type of adventures.
But again, great concept. While I am not a child of the '80s, I was born 1984 so I missed it by being a little kid with no awareness of anything outside preschool, I always felt some odd connection to New Wave culture- I love the music, the movies, and if I could find a members only jacket I would so totally wear it. I put up a fight when mom threatened to throw out an old jacket covered with spangles she wore once during the decade (I won, and wore it for spirit day at school).
So I'm an child of the 80s, spiritually, I guess. Weird.