News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Research Skill

Started by zeke023, September 17, 2003, 11:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeke023

I can't believe that this hasn't come up before, but I have yet to find it in another thread - if this has already been answered, if you could point me to it, I'd appreciate it.

RESEARCH?  It isn't described at all in my book.  It is listed as a skill, but says nothing more about how to use it.

I'm just rolling with it for now, but does anyone know if there is a skill description somewhere?

Jason Kottler

What's to describe? I have a player who's character is built around the Ranger and Scholar packages. He finally got to bust out the Research when they hit a Hellenic town with an actual LIBRARY. I asked what he wanted to look up, subtracted dice from his MA for obscurity, and had him roll against Research, at several hours a pop. He accumulated the requisite successes on 1 bad and 1 good roll, and I gave him the leads he was looking for.

Perhaps I'm missing the point of your post. What precicsely do you want to know about the skill?
Jason Kottler -Ultrablamtacular!

Brian Leybourne

Jason,

Yup, that's pretty much exactly how I do it too.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

MonkeyWrench

I thought research tied into formalizing your own spells or looking for others formalized spells in an arcane library.
-Jim

Brian Leybourne

That too.

In fact, anything you have to, well, research... :-)

It's a skill, right. The skill of being able to pour through old documents, dispatches, texts and other forms of information and weed out the chaff from the good stuff, to put together the information you need. Researching.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

MonkeyWrench

Quote from: Brian LeybourneIn fact, anything you have to, well, research... :-)

Hmmmmm.....good call on that one. Always good to know that our game designers have a good head on their shoulders. ;)
-Jim