News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nephilim using HeroQuest

Started by RaconteurX, September 17, 2003, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon_hibbs

Quote from: GB SteveI don't really see HQ as being anything more than Everway in the GM-as-decision-maker stakes and I don't really see where HQ provides for more player input.

I think HQ gives players more narative freedom in two ways. The first is that the flexibility of the resolution system means players have much more freedom to state exactly what they want to achioeve in a contest, rather than being constrained by a system that dictates possible actions and outcomes. In HQ on a Complete Success you achieve exactly the outcome you wanted to, whatever that was. No roling on critical result charts or whatever to find out what the outcome was - what you wanted to happen, happenes. The second is though the expenditure of Hero Points to influence events in the game eithr during contest resolution, or to 'cement' events to make long-term changes in the game world.

Many other games provide much more in the way of metagame mechanics to empower player narration that HeroQuest, but HQ does give players much more narative fredom than what we might call 'traditional' RPG systems.

QuoteAlthough the rules don't provide for much differentiation, albeit for some in the choice of what each element does for each PC, you'll find that most HQ PCs are pretty much alike too, especially if from the same cultural background.

I wouldn't have said you PCs in my HW campaign were lacking in variety, and the same goes for David's game. HeroQuest gives you more freedom to describe your characetr the way you wish than any other RPG I know of, so characetrs can be as varied as the players choose to make them, within the limits of a 100 word description.

QuoteI just wonder how much of the non-metaphysical stuff is important in a Nephilim game and whether the system should put much more weight on this than you might find in HQ. I'm thinking about the way Sorcerer just has one stat for the PCs occupation. The crunchy bits should focus on what's important in the game.

I don't think the metaphysical meaning of the Nephilim game is necesserily very relevent to minute-by-minute play of the game. As with any RPG it's all very well saying a game should be played this way, or that way, but once it's in the hands of a GM and players how they play it is up to them and no-one else.

I think the HeroQuest system is a good fit or Nephilim because I like the way magic works in HQ, and I think Nephilim is mainly about mythic adventure and occult magical warfare.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs

RaconteurX

I'm at long last getting settled into my new apartment (the condo fell through... long story) and hope to finally have access to the Nephilim/HeroQuest material I wrote previously this weekend. Cross your fingers...