News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Call me stupid, but...

Started by Kraal, September 29, 2003, 10:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kraal

Hi, uhm, how do you go about buying both melee and missile wpns skills.  Do split your vagaries between them, or do they both count as the max vagarie points?  I read, and then reread the sample creation character and could not understand how he ended up with points in missile wpns?

This area is either vague or I just missed something in my readings.  I wouldn't put it past that it was the latter.  

Anyway, could somebody give me some clarification on this, I have seven ppl showing up on Thursday to play, and have been in a fit the last few days in getting a game together.  

Oh yeah, I am also a newbie to the system, so be gentle all those that love to flame.

Thanks

Ron Edwards

Hi there Kraal,

Welcome to the Forge. You're posting about The Riddle of Steel, right?

I'll have to check my text about the example character, but I think you might be missing how the Combat Pools (or Sorcery Pools) are put together. For the Combat Pool, you add your Expertise points to your Reflexes.

Say I have total Pool points of, oh, 8 (I'm just making this up off the top of my head). I put 4 of them into Poleaxe. So I now take my Reflexes of 5 and add it to the 4 points, for a total Poleaxe Combat Pool of 9.

You do that for all the pools you feel like buying. Be careful with the defaults, though; you can end up with pretty good pools based on defaults without having to buy them with points.

I could be totally wrong about where you're having trouble, but check the Reflexes thing first, just in case. If you're trying to buy your Combat Pools with just your pool points, you're going to end up with itsy-bitsy totals.

Best,
Ron

Kraal

Thanks Ron, you hit the nail on the head.  I took alook at what I was having problems understanding, and it was explained in black in white after all.  I could have sworn it wasn't there, one of those lack of perception things such as not findng the ketchup in the frig until someone else looks for it.