News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Character Generator problem

Started by Janne Halmetoja, October 07, 2003, 01:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janne Halmetoja

I get message "Unable to write to" when I try save on free creating mode. I have tried several NPCs and everytime get this message. If I create character using rules and then load and save it, no problem. "Read only" mark is off, so it isn't problem. Brian can you help?

Sir Mathodius Black

i get the same unable to write too, so it isnt just you.  ive been wondering about that myself
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Brian Leybourne

Hmm.. uh, actually I have no idea. I have never seen that happen.

Can one of you take a screenshot of the error and email it to me (bleybourne@hotmail.com)? That's not a problem I have come across before.

Are you trying to save them to the default directory or a new one?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Lxndr

It happened to me before also - I reported it in a different thread a while back.  I'll take a screenshot tonight.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Janne Halmetoja

I have tried to save both default directory and couple of other ones. Same problem all the time.

Brian Leybourne

Really? Sorry Alex, I must have missed that one.

I assume it's not happening to everyone...? (well, I know it's not happening to me *grin*).

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Janne HalmetojaI have tried to save both default directory and couple of other ones. Same problem all the time.

Bizarre... the NPC section and the "make a character by the book" section use the same save process. If one works, then the other should also. I'll have to look into that.

Brian.

(edit: If you make a character and save it, can you then go in and edit it, or does that not work either? I.e. is it only the NPC's that come with the game or making new NPC's that wont save, or will nothing save?)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Janne Halmetoja

If I make character using step by step progress and then go edit it, no problem. Problem is with making new NPCs.

Brian Leybourne

Nobody has sent me a screenshot yet... :-)

Hmm.. very odd that you can create a character and then edit it, but you cant create a character in the editor or edit an NPC... it's the exact same save process, and once the character has been made in the "step by step" it's identical to the format of the NPC's (who were made in the step-by-step) so there's no possible way (that I can think of) that the program should even be capable of distinguishing between them.

I'll look into it.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Brian Leybourne

OK, I think I have recreated the problem.

The issue is that if you click NEW from the main page, then when you try to save the error box says "Unable to save to " with nothing after the "to" am I right?

Should be fixable, I'll have a look at it this week (and fix up a few other issues along the way, like the install bug for non-English Windows version users). In the meantime, it's easy enough to work around it.

On the Main Menu screen, instead of NEW, click on LOAD, and load any other NPC or PC you have made, doesn't matter which one. This will bring you into that same screen. Now, click on NEW on that screen, and it'll clear the PC/NPC you loaded, and let you make a new one, and that one can be saved.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Janne Halmetoja

QuoteThe issue is that if you click NEW from the main page, then when you try to save the error box says "Unable to save to " with nothing after the "to" am I right?

Yes, that's what is says.

QuoteOn the Main Menu screen, instead of NEW, click on LOAD, and load any other NPC or PC you have made, doesn't matter which one. This will bring you into that same screen. Now, click on NEW on that screen, and it'll clear the PC/NPC you loaded, and let you make a new one, and that one can be saved.?

Thanks for the tip :).