News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Should I still be here?

Started by Michael Hopcroft, October 17, 2003, 12:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

One of the reasons you haven't seen me around here much lately is because I've been questioning my role here. You see, the intent of the Forge is to promote "creator-owned RPGs" and Seraphim guard has increasingly been becoming a freelance house. While I have been coming up with most of the big ideas, I've recently put a bevy of writers under royalty contract to do the writing. And while our developer's mailing list has been lively with discussion and I've eventually been making the decisions, to call me the "creator" of the games is possible only in the loosest sense of the word.

So I've been trying in my mind to determine how relevant I am to the goals the Forge is trying to accomplish, and I'm not coming up with a suitable answer. while I still see the talent assembled on the Forge as a tremendous resource, I wonder if I would be abusing this resource if I continued to post and use the message system given my company's growth in terms of number of people involved (if not neccesarily in terms of amount of money made).
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Ron Edwards

Hi Michael,

The issue really revolves around the Forge definition of "independent." I suggest that you, me, and Clinton take your situation to private email.

However, I'll also post something important here: ultimately, no one can make a decision for you. No matter what Clinton and I say, if you think you're abusing the resources of the Forge, and if you're not comfortable with it, then make your decision accordingly. We have a big "no" on our side of the screen, but you have one on yours as well. And respect about that goes both ways.

Best,
Ron

Daniel Solis

You might want to send out an email to Jared Sorensen who, while still publishing creator-owned RPGs, recently chose to disassociate himself from the "indie" concept, whatever that may be. To paraphrase his words from my admittedly imperfect memory, he felt it necessary to shift himself from "indie game designer" to simply "game designer."
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

Ron Edwards

Hi Daniel,

I presume by "you" you mean me? If so, rest assured that Jared and I frequently communicate and had all kinds of no-hassle dialogue long before he mentioned anything on-line.

Clinton and I tend to move slowly on forum issues. As in, months.

Best,
Ron

Daniel Solis

Whoops, I actually meant that post to be directed Micheal, figuring it would be helpful discussing the definition of "independent" and "creator-owned" with someone in a comparable situation.
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.