News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Jake Rants about Art

Started by Jake Norwood, October 08, 2003, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lxndr

Part of why I rave about Nobilis is the fact that the interior art is rare (though the few pieces I can recall haven't disappointed me).  Too many game books glut themselves with art instead of providing actual content. Art is beneath my notice 90% of the time - I had to have Wolfen remind me that there was cover art on the tRoS main book, because despite having seen it multiple times, the fact that there was art on the front had never, y'know, made an impact, to the point where I wasn't entirely sure there was any.  OBAM's cover art is a bit more anvillicious in that regard.

But that's me.  I'm an aberration in the RPG world, and I fear the day that my first game is ready to find art.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Brian Leybourne

Anvillicious? Pertaining to anvils?

I don't think that's a word :-)

(Nor does my dictionary)

Brian :-)
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Lxndr

Anvillicious - "like unto an anvil falling on one's head."  In other words, "hard to miss."

I'm not sure where I picked it up.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Mike Holmes

Quote from: LxndrI'm not sure where I picked it up.
Anvilania, no doubt. A small country sandwiched between the nations of Likus, and Dunlikus.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Thierry MichelThis might be a dumb question, but why not rely more on period illustration ? I've been reading a lot about XVIth century recently (blame TROS) and between Dürer, Holbein, Urs Graf, Caravaggio, Bruegel, Cranach, Uccello and the martial arts manuals you have enough knights, landsknechts and men-at-arms to fill a volume. And of course there's always XIXth century illustrations like the Pictorial History of costume and the like...

And it's free.

It's only free if you can get a hold of a non-copyrighted photo. The original is free, but the photo may not be. There are, of course, about 10 or so "originals" in the core rulebook, and we'll be including lots more in TFOB, as it's very appropriate there.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Kaare_Berg

I stand corrected Jake, the art in OBAM is a great improvement. And I seriously agree that the money spent on art is money well spent.
back again

Svyatoslav_Igorevich

For my .02, I like good art and lots of it.  Then again I'm more an artist than a roleplayer :P.  No art is better than bad art though.

I haven't bought TRoS yet so I can't comment on it specifically.