News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Some basic stuff

Started by Sir Gawain, October 12, 2003, 10:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Gawain

Hallo everybody! I am totally new to the forum and to TROS too (I found a copy in Germany a month ago), but I'm fascinated by the system and by the flavour of the game.
I'd like to have a go with my players, but since they are rather action-oriented and enemy-bashers (we usually play D&D to make everyone happy) I'm afraid I will have a hard time trying to learn the game AND to keep everything moving. I think I need a bit of help.
How much fight do you have in your games? How much investigations? Do you like the spiritual attributes system (I really do!)? Do you manage to use it fully in your games?
We used to play Pendragon, and in TROS I find some of the best elements of that game (passion, drive, faith...)
Thanks for your help!

Sir Gawain

Sir Mathodius Black

I always just ask my players simply "what do you want out of your character?"  some say hack n slash, others say they want to make use of skills, others magic.  it all depends on what they want.  ROS can be a great game if your players are very action oriented but you have to be careful because you need to let them know that unlike DND, their characters are not walking nearly invincable combat machines.  in ROS death is a very real thing and is not that uncommon, but as long as they knwo that, things should work out nicely, after all, its alot cooler to say you just crushed an orcs throat with your warhammer from an upward swing rather than ...i deal 10 damage...

what it comes down to is what the players want.  built your campaigns around that and everything should work out.
"God helps those who helps themselves."