News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Kill Bill - the Heroquest

Started by Mac Logo, October 17, 2003, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac Logo

Kind of obvious really. The Bride's journey is plainly a tragic heroquest. So I'm not going to go into any detail.

I bring up the subject because I had a flash of understanding during the film of what masteries truly represent in HeroQuest.

And imagining Uma Thurman with red hair (not difficult considering the copious red stuff in free flow), when she held 2 katanas fighting the Crazy 88. A perfect JarEel moment.

I now have an image for the description of a Gloranthan Superhero cutting loose on the mooks.

Graeme
If I know, I will tell.
If I don't, I will say.
If it's my opinion, I'm just another idiot...

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

As long as we're getting all pop-culture-y about heroquesting, the key reference would be Game of Death. The yellow outfit worn by the lead character in Kill Bill is identical to the one worn by Lee's character in Game of Death.

Has anyone seen Circle of Iron (1979)? It's based on a script by James Coburn and Bruce Lee for a movie they intended to make titled "The Silent Flute." I presume that the eventual moviemakers considered the Flute title too wimpy; there is neither "circle" nor "iron" in the movie.

Anyway, it has its flaws both as a film and as martial arts spectacle (Lee, after all, was not in it), but it is a heroquest all over, in every possible and explicit way. Highly recommended.

Best,
Ron

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Ron EdwardsAs long as we're getting all pop-culture-y about heroquesting, the key reference would be Game of Death. The yellow outfit worn by the lead character in Kill Bill is identical to the one worn by Lee's character in Game of Death.
What does Kareem get for a Tall Ability rating? :-)

Good call on Circle of Iron as well. That's a "cult classic" within a cult genre.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.