News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Acrobatics, evasion, and something I'm missing?

Started by Tim Alexander, October 19, 2003, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Alexander

Hey Guys,

Under the acrobatics description on pg. 31 it says:

QuoteFailure or fumble on the roll is equivalent to a failed dodge -- all of the attacker's successes count!

I take this to mean that on a normal dodge, partial or otherwise, if you don't succeed then all of the attacker's successes count. I can't seem to find text in the evasion section to support this though. Am I just misreading the above, or is there some missing clarification?

-Tim

Draigh

If I'm interpreting it correctly (I don't have my book in front of me right now... going from memory), what this means is this...

When using acrobatics to add to your CP for evasion, if you fail or fumble the acrobatics roll, you don't get to evade at all.  

Sound about right Brian / Ralph / Lance?
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Tim AlexanderI take this to mean that on a normal dodge, partial or otherwise, if you don't succeed then all of the attacker's successes count. I can't seem to find text in the evasion section to support this though. Am I just misreading the above, or is there some missing clarification?

The formula is attackers successes minus defenders successes.

So, if the defenders successes are zero (he failed), then X - 0 = X right? All of the attackers successes count.

I'm a little confused as to why you're confused, so I may have missed something...?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Tim Alexander

Hey Brian,

Duh, you're of correct of course. I was reading success to only be when successes exceeded the attacker's, since when dodging that's what counts. Since this is a skill test, that's ridiculous. I'm not at all sure at this point how I confused myself, since it now seems right as rain.

-Tim

Brian Leybourne

Ah, actually, I have misled you slightly (now that I re-read your original post).

What it means is this:

Make the reflex/acrobatics roll. Any successes add to the die pool for the upcoming evasion. However, if you fail or botch the acrobatics roll, then you don't get to make the evasion, you acrobaticly bolloxed yourself and stand there like a dupe while the attacker smites you one.

Thus is the risk of making the acrobatics check, otherwise you would happily do it before every evasion since there would be no cost/danger.

Once you get to the evasion, the X-Y that I blabbered on about above applies; evasion successes subtract from attack successes.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Tim Alexander

Hey Again,

Nah, you set me straight. I think I had jumped to the idea that acrobatics was an opposed test, and so the implication of failure had wider repurcussions. As it stands it makes perfect sense though.

-Tim

Draigh

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: DraighAh-hahahahahaaaaa

I take it that was some kind of cry of victory? :-)

Yeah, you were entirely right above, Draigh. I misread Tim's original question.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Draigh

Not at all Brian...  Just funnin'.

No offence meant :-)