News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

So now i have Sorcerer...

Started by arxhon, October 23, 2003, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arxhon

...to go with Sex and Sorcery and The Sorcerer's Soul (yes, i owned them first). I may even be able to get a game running shortly (time to crack out the whips, i think). Had to special order it, and it took a few weeks to come in, but the wait is worth it.

While i'm still digesting Sorcerer, it looks pretty cool, and i could definitely get into running it. There's a nice combination of player defined and driven play, "personal" horror, and screwing the characters (as opposed to the players) over somewhat with their demons is encouraged. I'm looking forward to telling my players "Those are the choices you made earlier. These are the consequences. That is what this game is about. Now, what are you going to do?"

One quick question, though (probably answered many times, but i'm feeling a little lazy today, sorry). The book states "roll current humanity against itself". Does this mean the player makes 2 rolls and compares them to each other (i'm assuming yes, because that is how other rolls work, but i just want to be sure).

I'm going to have to reread the other 2 books in light of the things i've learned from Sorcerer.

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: arxhon
One quick question, though (probably answered many times, but i'm feeling a little lazy today, sorry). The book states "roll current humanity against itself". Does this mean the player makes 2 rolls and compares them to each other (i'm assuming yes, because that is how other rolls work, but i just want to be sure).

Yes, you're correct. To cut down on handling time, usually I, as GM, physically make one of the rolls, declaring beforehand whether my handful of dice represents a Humanity loss, Humanity remaining the same, or Humanity Gain.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Ron Edwards

Hi there!

Yeah, Michael has it right. To lay it out in detail ...

1. "This is a Humanity check. Roll your Humanity dice." And I pick up the same amount of dice and roll it too. If the player's dice have a higher value, the character does not lose a point of Humanity; if they're lower, he or she does lose a point.

2. "This is a Humanity gain roll. Roll your Humanity dice." And we do the same in terms of picking up dice. But in this case, if the player's dice succeed, the character gains a point of Humanity. If they're lower, the character does not.

It's good to be clear that a Humanity check includes no chance for Humanity to go up, and that a Humanity gain roll includes no chance for it to go down.

Best,
Ron

arxhon