News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A possibly irrelevant question

Started by James Holloway, November 05, 2001, 11:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Holloway

Ron said: (which I like to call the "Lincoln Logs" model of GMing, which is to blow up anything the player-character likes or cares about, or to threaten to do so),

I just want to ask: where does this term come from? Why "Lincoln Logs?"

Mike Holmes

I going to take a guess. When we were kids and built forts and Log cabins with Linkin Logs, we would inevitably save a number of pieces for ammunition to use with catapults made from a single short log and a roof slat. The object was, of course, to destroy your play partners fort. What else would you do with 'em.

Anyhow, shooting at your enemies prize posession, or even just threatening to do so, is a sure way to motivate them. Hence, I believe, Ron's analogy.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Oh, I was just thinking of a bunch of kids making houses of Lincoln Logs, and knocking them down.

So the players build Lincoln Log houses in the form of personal back-stories, and the GM's prompt response is to blow up, endanger, or otherwise harm the "houses" in order to goose the players into action, or into putting the PCs into action, in the desired direction.

Best,
Ron

Bailywolf

I would add an adendum to this theory;

Give the player characters enough power to torpedo their own forts.  I love granting the power fantasies players have, then demonstrating just how much trouble it allows them to get into.  Its been my experience that character power almost invariably becomes a taught length of rop about their necks.

A delight to watch.

James Holloway

On 2001-11-05 11:49, Bailywolf wrote:
I love granting the power fantasies players have, then demonstrating just how much trouble it allows them to get into.

Man, I'm glad somebody does. You want some of my spare players?