News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Primal situation

Started by Callan S., December 01, 2003, 11:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

Okay, so I tried it yesterday. I think it did give more insight to each character so I'll be using it in future. Asking about feeling before the PC's put their plan into action was almost like a chance for them to forshadow thing in a way, too. I think it added a lot to a game which was essentially a one shot where people wouldn't otherwise express much about their characters. But I think some changes are due.

The sub optimal thing: One of the players was pursuing the suboptimal bonus for the bonus only. I feel in the long run that'll mean he would be placing feelings on his character that really don't mesh with what he wants. So he's gamist desire and PC narrative desire would end up clashing. I think I'll just use an honesty system instead. I'll ask 'Is what you said really important to your PC?' and if they say yes they get the bonus. If they abuse it, they'll be abusing their own character concept by saying things which aren't important to them are. Well, it'll sort of police itself.

XP: Although I asked a few times, it wasn't as often as I expected. The XP amount wasn't all that much, one player commented, and still felt that way after I explained its for the minimal effort of expressing what you should already know is in your PC's head. Anyway, I bumped up the XP.

Be careful, Callan!: Duh, I did this twice, instead of one at a time I just asked both players (yeah, small group yesterday) what their PC felt. Must knock into my own head, do it one at a time. Otherwise they both go to speak at the same time and it sort of squelches the quieter ones portrayal.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

qxjit

Cool, I'm glad to hear it worked out well over all.  I'm considering trying this in an upcoming short game, though I'll probably give bonus dice instead of XP.  I do think that the honesty system is a bit better that favoring suboptimal feelings, though I'm inclined to assume that players want to express what their character is really feeling anyway.  As long as you don't penalize them for the fear (or whatever) they just narrated of course.
--Dave

Callan S.

Quote from: qxjitCool, I'm glad to hear it worked out well over all.  I'm considering trying this in an upcoming short game, though I'll probably give bonus dice instead of XP.  I do think that the honesty system is a bit better that favoring suboptimal feelings, though I'm inclined to assume that players want to express what their character is really feeling anyway.  As long as you don't penalize them for the fear (or whatever) they just narrated of course.

Yeah, but I just wanted to encourage characters to not always feel confident and okay. A bit of fear is okay, as is just feeling happy sometimes (gah, they're so grim sometimes!). An honesty system is better, but it doesn't give them the message 'its okay for your male PC to actually feel fear or uncomfortableness sometimes' every time. You can tell them that before the game, but they may be inclined to forget in game, especially if no one else does it.

And god no, penalise them for the fear or whatever? Any faint idea on my behalf that it would be 'realistic' to do are blown away by just how much that would choke this whole idea up, not to mention RP in general.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>