News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bartender!

Started by Ron Edwards, November 05, 2003, 04:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan_greer

Sorcerer, the drinking game.  I am amused.

greyorm

Quote from: Bob McNameeSo does that make Raven's the Zero Humanity drink?
I was thinking more like The Failed Binding.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

jrs

What about The Punishment, or The Rebellious Demon?

I don't know whether it was the unexpected effect of adding seltzer or that we had already gone through several drinks that had us all giggling over it.  

Julie

Paul Czege

Bindings never fail. If you roll bad, you just regret them later.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Calithena

"...which we used to replace the absinthe, not wanting brain damage..."

This is a pretty hilarious line in the context of the kind of drinking binge we're talking about here...

jrs

I wouldn't exactly call the test-tasting event a drinking binge; that would have been very unfair to the 2nd page entries.  

We made one version of each drink (some were reduced in volume to half portions), and we circulated the glass among the three of us.  If I remember  correctly, all drinks were completely consumed except two (Raven's and  Jesse's "Inconspicuous Demon").  And the event was extended over six hours or so.

We did get pretty loopy, and I wouldn't have trusted any of us behind the wheel.  But, no one got seriously drunk, no one passed out, and there were no hangovers.

Julie

Walt Freitag

QuoteChristopher Weeks' "Need"... beats Walt's "Need" even though we did need the water about then pretty badly.

I realized the flaw almost immediately after posting it. You have to be bored and hypoglycemic, not three sheets to the wind and hyperglycemic, to appreciate it as it was intended.

Under the stated testing protocol, the whole thing should in fact have been reversed; i.e. stare longingly at the water and drink the fat-sugar-alcohol bomb.

(On the other hand, I feel good about perhaps saving the lives of a few brain cells whose owners might someday use them to think up more really cool stuff.)

- W   :-)
Wandering in the diasporosphere

Paul Czege

Ron,

At GenCon next year, however, the Sorcerer Cocktail Menu will be available in full battle-tested array, and will be served at an Adept Press event, clearly after-hours.

Thinking about this, you may want to consider some non-alcoholic options. A Token, perhaps?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Christopher Weeks

Quote from: Ron EdwardsChristopher Weeks gets the "best mixer person" award for sure. His "Sorcerer" was Julie's fave for the night and she doesn't even like Southern Comfort. A fleeting concern was expressed that the Pernod (which we used to replace the absinthe, not wanting brain damage) takes over.

Hey, brain damage is underrated.  But I'm glad you enjoyed.  (How can you not like Southern Comfort...that's like hating ice cream. ;-)

QuoteChristopher's "The Desire," with all the sugar and sticky stuff, was a very good dessert-type drink, most suitable for Thanksgiving celebration. Perhaps it might do better with champagne or club soda rather than 7-Up.

A nice sweeter California sparkling wine might be nice...I'm swinging by the liquour store tonight in preps for trying it out with the family.  But a full-on yeasty Champagne sounds yucky as hell with the mixers.  I think that that much club soda would be bad too, but may 1/2 club and 1/2 7-up or something.

QuoteAt GenCon next year, however, the Sorcerer Cocktail Menu will be available in full battle-tested array, and will be served at an Adept Press event, clearly after-hours...(out of order)...We didn't try his "Banishment" as (a) we didn't want to wait two weeks, and (b) "drinkable yet funky" did not inspire a sense of trust and commitment on our parts.

Maybe a more general Forge gathering in which the various games/companies sponsor their theme drink would be cool...sort of an intra-Forge "step on up" drink-off.  Or maybe it would be dangerous.  Anyway, if said event is as public as your announcement suggests, maybe I'll bring some "drinkable yet funky" for testing.

Chris

greyorm

Quote from: Paul CzegeBindings never fail. If you roll bad, you just regret them later.
This is true, but calling it "the Failed Binding Roll" just didn't have the same ring, and drunk people might think it was bakery.

However, it would be rather interesting to have a Sorcerer drinking game where you can shout out, "Administer the Punishment!" and have the drinker shudder in fear. (Thanks for the title, Julie!)
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Clay

I find it amusing that Raven's drink is so universally reviled.  Although my drinks aren't usually that strong, I do drink a variant pretty frequently.  I prefer to use a cayenne pepper to a jalapeno, and drop the 151 to mezcal.  That's mostly because I don't tend to stock 151, and I really like mezcal.

I'll also submit that it's good for clearing out a cold and relieving sinus congestion. Don't expect your wife/girlfriend/anonymous partner to love you though if you try to kiss them after drinking this.  Your lips and fingers will be very hot.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Lxndr

Kissing someone who's just had ANY alcoholic drink is generally a bad idea.  Blech.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Ron Edwards

Hello,

How did you guys get drunk too? That's what this thread sounds like.

I'll finish it up, with this last post. Not last call.

1. Raven's drink does not get a name. It was rejected, not "chosen as awful" or anything like that. Not on the menu.

2. I do plan on an informal GenCon event of some kind based on the drink menu.

3. I also expect to run another drink contest/review/whatever this is, probably a few months from now. Not only will I try to get in the entries I missed this time, but I'd like more. I'll probably have some more people involved in the tasting as well, for all kinds of reasons.

That means you actually have a chance to try some of the concoctions yourself, before proposing them.

Best,
Ron