News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Crucible (an idea for a site)

Started by apeiron, November 15, 2003, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apeiron

@ This is from a thread i started in the site discussion area.  i am mentioning it here because i am looking to 'connect' with like minded people who might want to help with its construction, or perhaps have some ideas to add.  Check out the thread if you want more info on what it is about.

@ Will you help me develop this idea further?

My Assertions:
1) There is an incredible amount of creativity on this and other forums, and even more talent sitting idle in notebooks and hard drives
2) Open Source/Freeware ethics can produce great results
3) The internet is a great tool for connecting people to people and products to people
4) That for some (not all) people, explicit structures such as goals, deadlines and expectations of peers can motivate people to do more
5) Gathering (and more importantly, sharing) all of that creative energy and intelligence would be awesome
6) No one is an expert at drawing AND mechanics AND copyright law AND writing AND so on.
7) Helping others is rewarding
8) Having high expectations and holding people accountible tends to yield better results
What i want:
a) A place where game designers can present their works to each other and to the world, it would be stored in (at least) one place permanently (threads are not permanent)
b) A expectation of professionalism and productivity to prevent extraneous diversion of creative talent and to prevent great ideas from withering on the vine
c) An environment where all members have declared a commitment to support each other and be productive. Those who don't want to help others or be productive would be free/intived to leave. No one is forced to join, but those who wish to remain should live up to their commitments. [/url]
If you live in the NoVA/DC area and would like help developing your games, or to help others do so, send me a PM.  i'm running a monthly gathering that needs developers and testers.