News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Art, Layout, Etc. (someone to do it)

Started by Lxndr, November 15, 2003, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lxndr

So I'm still looking for a Layout Guru (I've decided to follow the advice in both threads and avoid art, instead hoping to find a layout that would be able to survive in an artless context).

Although a volunteer is the best option, I am more than willing to pay.  Seriously.  One person contacted me in private messages, but I haven't heard back from him.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Funksaw

Quote from: LxndrSo I'm still looking for a Layout Guru (I've decided to follow the advice in both threads and avoid art, instead hoping to find a layout that would be able to survive in an artless context).

Although a volunteer is the best option, I am more than willing to pay.  Seriously.  One person contacted me in private messages, but I haven't heard back from him.

I just finished my graduate Adv. Visual Design course at U.T.

I'd be happy to lay out your book, but my professional tools are 2000 miles away right now.  I could maybe get new professional tools for Windows or Linux - how soon do you want it laid out and how much are you offering as payment?

Also, what's Fastlane about?

-- Funksaw
Currently looking to write non-fiction book on the art of RPGs.  Private-message me if you want to point out a good editorial or an interesting thread.

Luke

i'd be insane to take on another project, but...

how many pages (roughly)
how many words?

what size?

color or bw?

how about a budget? is there one?

how much of an idea do you have of the layout?

do you have a preference for fonts or style?

three lines describing the theme of the content.

how much control are you willing to give to your designer?

oh, and do you like the overall look of the burning wheel books? (that's my core style. of course i'd vary it for other work, but you can get a good idea of my sensibilities in those books)

you can respond in public or email me.
whatever you'd prefer.

Lxndr

Here's what I've got, though I believe I may have found someone already (Matt Snyder, in point of fact):

* The document is roughly 25 8.5 x 11 single-column pages at the moment, though that includes several page breaks to help organize things for my own private use and some other weird formatting things.  Add another page or two for the as-yet-unwritten glossary I've decided to include at the last minute.

* Microsoft Word counts 19,402 words, including headers and stuff.  Once again, add a few more words for the as-yet-unwritten glossary.

* Definitely B/W if possible, though I'd like a color cover.  And oddly enough, I have a pretty good idea what I want on that cover (a photograph of a roulette wheel).

* Size:  I'm hoping to sell through rpgnow, using both pdf and print-on-demand.  They have two available sizes, 8.5 x 11, and 4.25 x 5.5.  I think I'd prefer the latter, assuming a person buying the pdf could still print it out on regular-sized paper.  Not sure how that would work out, though, so I'm open to either size.

* My budget is flexible, but I'd prefer to keep it small.  Matt Snyder is charging me $100 for the layout work, and I've still got to find a roulette wheel for the cover, and I'm thinking of hiring a proofreader to make sure that "Lxndr-speak" can be understood by people who don't even know me.

* How much of an idea?  Besides "as little art as humanly possible" I really don't have much at all.  One diagram that needs to be near one bit of text, and that's about it. This whole thing is "beyond my ken", so to speak.

Theme of the Content:  Living fast until the world crashes down around you.  Debauchery, dissipation, risks, rewards.  Burning the candle at both ends.

How much control:  A lot.  If I don't like how something looks, I'll say so, but I'm not someone who really knows how something should look.

Burning Wheel:  Overall, they're pretty nice.  I'm odd in that I'd prefer something a LITTLE more spartan, art-wise.  But you don't have enough art to INTERFERE with the game, like many books do.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming