News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Credibility for the Player

Started by Mike Holmes, October 28, 2003, 02:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

Quote from: HarlequinDon't think it'd derail much, Ralph - I know Uni only by exposure on these boards.  I defer and agree.

Noon - Many systems at least have a 'bonus die' mechanism which provides the starting point for negotiations.  Sorcerer, Exalted, etc.  More sophisticated levels of negotiation?  Umm... I'll think on that one.

Yeah, I was aware of the floor in my example, but couldn't get around it. Bonus die or bonus to a roll is common in systems. But really it only slightly influences the game. Eg, if a GM puts the first level PC's against some giant of massive CR, he can keep giving them the recommended circumstance bonus, but they'll still be slaughtered. Rules might strongly suggest fighting, with nothing on how to cause a landslide to wash away the giant so everyone can run. The existance of the (extensive) combat rules implies using the characters abilities with them rather than negotiating some avalanche effect that is set off by character abilities (say setting of an avlanche has no rules).

Gah, this example isn't that good either! :(

Anyway, my vague point is: Rules tend to suggest the time for negotiation has ended. The rule exists because some negotiation has already happened, etc. But  I'd argue most succesful play eventually involves  lots of negotiation continuing.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>