News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Primetime Adventures] Share the Love!

Started by Matt Wilson, December 04, 2003, 01:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

I just posted the latest draft of rules for Primetime Adventures for free public consumption. The pdf is nothing pretty, but I felt like sharing.

You can get it here: http://www.dog-eared-designs.com/pta.html

Thanks in advance for publicly consuming.

Alan

Hi Matt,

This is developing nicely.  I really like the issue tracking mechanics, scene framing rules and lots of other things.  Also, this draft seems leaner, clearer, and more focused than the previous one.    

FAN MAIL
The Fan Mail economy is incomplete.  Page 14 says Fan Mail starts at zero at the beginning of every episode.  Where do unspent points go?  Can you spend Fan Mail as soon as you get it?  Does each player have a personal pool?

CHANGING A PROTAGONIST (p29)
It says you can create a new Trait, but doesn't say whether this is in addition to your first 5, or a substitution.  Also, does it cost anything?

NEXT WEEK ON
Consider suggesting that the player with the spotlight next episode set the tone with the teaser for that episode.  Maybe he goes first and gets veto over other player suggestions.

PITCHES
Did you consider using a dice roll for making pitches?  A one off conflict to see if the idea enters play.  This is would be like an Idea roll in The Questing Beast (The Pool).

NEW CONFLICT RULES
-----------------------------
Nice and simple.  I like the definition of Difficult as a once or twice a season conflict.  I sorta miss assigning specific number of advantages to specific assertions as in the previous version, though.

Page 34, After Effects still mentions the old system of having your dice reduced to zero in a conflict.

What happens when there's a tie?

How does this new method play out?  Did you try giving Easy, Moderate, and Difficult levels of conflict all the same number of opposition dice, but requiring different numbers of successful exchanges to win? (Or is that too much like Trollbabe?)

Instead of increasing the Director advantages when he faces multiple protagonists, how about having each protagonist compare their dice individually against the Director?  So if Nate gets 3 advantages, Brae gets 1, and the Director 2, then Nate wins the exchange and the Director and Brae each get a free demand.

Looking good!
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Matt Wilson

Alan:

Thanks for the feedback, and for spotting the errors.

As for the suggestions:

QuoteDid you consider using a dice roll for making pitches? A one off conflict to see if the idea enters play. This is would be like an Idea roll in The Questing Beast (The Pool).

That's a bit contrary to the cooperation approach I was going for. If you create a scene, you have an agenda, and any ideas I have for contributing should be worked out in cooperation, not via "you can't say no because I rolled an 8." That make sense?

QuoteInstead of increasing the Director advantages when he faces multiple protagonists, how about having each protagonist compare their dice individually against the Director? So if Nate gets 3 advantages, Brae gets 1, and the Director 2, then Nate wins the exchange and the Director and Brae each get a free demand.

That's actually a pretty good idea for situations where the producer is handling two separate conflicts at a time, as was the case in Tuesday's game.

I'll try to answer the rest of your questions next time I hack at the manuscript. Hey, or you could playtest it. *nudge, prod*

Thanks again.