News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

IRC with mIRC - step by step ( TRoS IRC )

Started by feanor, December 02, 2003, 06:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feanor

Hi !

Some users of this forum may have troubles to join TRoS channel in IRC.
Have no fear Feanor is here with step by step guide.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/majatalo/stuff/Mirc/

See you in IRC

Durgil

Well, I made it, but I'm not very sure what I'm doing.  I guess I'll just hang out here until someone shows up or I go to bed.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

feanor

as said in other IRC thread we are from different time zones and it means when people from north america come are awake we northern europeans are going to sleep.

Durgil

I understand, I just thought that I'd post incase anyone was reading the boards and wanted to start up a discussion.  Maybe a sticky at the top of the Forum would be a good idea to let people know if there's anyone in the chatroom.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Lance D. Allen

It would just seem to me to be better that you leave the room when you're not at the computer and at least occasionally checking the room for people. That way, if you see someone in the room, you can be fairly well assured that they'll be dropping in and noticing you eventually.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Mike Holmes

If you want to ensure that people are in the room when you want to discuss something, make an appoinment. There just aren't enough interested folks that you'll find someone when you happen to be available. So have meetings. Simple as that.

Jake or Brian, is it OK to use this space to do that sort of scheduling, or should they find another space for that?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

It shouldn't be a problem for people to schedule TROS IRC chats on here as long as it doesn't devolve into conversations here (that's what the IRC channel is for).

I would rather see a post that says "hey everyone, lets all meet in the IRC channel on Friday at 7pm eastern time (or whatever) to discuss XYZ" as a once weekly thing etc, than "hey bob, come into IRC in 10 mins" or anything like that.

And remember that everyone lives in different timezones.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Brian Leybournehey everyone, lets all meet in the IRC channel on Friday at 7pm eastern time
Cool, chat with you then, Brian!

;-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Brian Leybourne

Hey man, I don't even know what "eastern time" means :-)

If someone can tell me what timezone "eastern time" is, I could possibly work out what that means in GMT+12 Auckland...

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Ingenious

Auckland/Wellington according to Windows XP time is GMT +12
aaaaand the eastern time zone is GMT -5.

-Ingenious
P.S. Oh, and I see some of you(Mr. Holmes) in the IRC channel... and am currently awaiting a response from anyone, anyone at all.
(You see, the problem with dedicated ISP's is that people can sit in IRC ALLLLLLL DAY LONG, and it doesnt have an idle time like AOL/AIM, or Yahoo etc.)
edited to note that 5 seconds into my dial-up trying to send this message to the forge I got a response.

Brian Leybourne

Hmm.. 17 hours different, so that would make it... about midday Saturday for me.

Well, this Saturday I'm busy, but I'm happy to be online next week at 7pm Friday Eastern Time... :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Ithron

Quote from: Ingenious(You see, the problem with dedicated ISP's is that people can sit in IRC ALLLLLLL DAY LONG, and it doesnt have an idle time like AOL/AIM, or Yahoo etc.)

To get how long someone's been idle:
/ctcp <nick> finger
(eg, /ctcp Ithron finger)
Your client probably has some easier way of doing it than typing in the command.

Ithron
---------- cut here to destroy monitor ----------

feanor

We have been active for about week now and we have seen some action on irc channel. Everyone join IRC fun !