News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sayin' hi.

Started by Funksaw, December 06, 2003, 07:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funksaw

Hi.  This is Funksaw.  I was thinking about writing a non-fiction book about RPGs over winter break - so I figured I'd better take a vacation from most of RPG.net, which is mostly about playing games, and come here for a while, where the discussion is focused on creating games.

Basically, I'm going to be writing a book about roleplaying games - not just a history, not an explaination, but an understanding of what happens.  I'd like to comment on the ideas of improvisational theatre, and figure out exactly what is *core* to the answer: "What is a roleplaying game" and what's just tradition?

I think RPGs are a powerful medium and I'd like to study it AS a medium.  

But in the meantime, I'm just sayin' hi, and hope you'll help me out with this project.

-- Funksaw
Currently looking to write non-fiction book on the art of RPGs.  Private-message me if you want to point out a good editorial or an interesting thread.

Dregg

Hiya Funksaw
I see your posts all the time over at RPG.net, welcome!

Any Help I can be give a yell
J. Carpio "Dregg"
Gaming Coordinator I-CON (iconsf.org)
Chapter 13 Press co founder(www.chapter13press.com)
Column Writer "Lights, Camera, Action!" (silven.com)

Jonathan Walton

Hey Funksaw,

Great task! I'll be excited to see what you come up with.

A few suggestions.

First, take a look at Ron Edward's most recent articulation of his own model (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8655), which attempts to explain exactly what you're talking about, "an explanation of what happens."  If some of the terms are not clear to you (which they might be, since Ron aimed that post at regular Forge denizens, and he's currently working on a less jargon-laden version), search for them, either on the message board or in Ron's essays (which are in the Articles section of the site).  I'd especially look at discussions of "shared imaginary space," "Exploration," the "Lumpley Principle," and "Creative Agenda."

Secondly, most Forge denizens are comfortable talking about roleplaying in terms of Ron's model, which was developed based on input from people here.  If you want to discuss a different model of roleplaying, it might help to start by explaining what your intent is and how it differs from the model Ron has put forward.  That'll get us all on common ground and make it easier to see where you're coming from and what you're getting at.

Finally, you might want to post additional thoughts on this subject in the RPG Theory section, instead of Indie Game Design, which is typically resevered for people who are actually trying to design games.

Oh, and welcome to the Forge!  I've also seen your posts on RPGnet and hope you find this to be a fertile place for developing your ideas!

Christopher Kubasik

Hi Funksaw,

I'm surprised this has to be said, but to dispell a horribly misinformed rumor: there's a lot of playing that goes on with Forge members.  In fact, the Actual Play board is one of the most important at the Forge site.  It's where "Why we play" meets "Here we are playing."

Check it out.  I think you'll find it of use.

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield