News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Unlock the Wordhoard - New Gift

Started by Judd, December 14, 2003, 05:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Unlock the Wordhoard  (Major and Minor)

Characters with this Gift are able to stand before men and women before a conflict and rouse them with words, stirring them to new heights, bringing strength that perhaps they did not know they had within themselves.

The character rolls Social aptitude against a TN set by the Seneschal, calculated by the reputation of the character and the situation at hand.  For each success, up to five, a newfound Spiritual Attribute that the audience and the speaker now has for the coming struggle ahead to be spent like the SA, Passion.

The Minor version of this Gift allows the player to apply half of the successes towards each audience members newfound Passion.

This Gift can only be used in groups.  The character cannot use it on himself.  

The Seneschal can control frivilous use of this Gift through controlling the TN, assigning a higher TN for situations that aren't applicable or crowds that do not respect the speaker.

StahlMeister

cant't this be handled with a simple SA?
"Der beisst nicht, er will nur spielen...",
Herald von Faust, stahlnish Beastmaster

Caz

Judd

Using this skill can create a temporary SA for the one battle the gifted character is pumping the audience up for.

SA's nor Leadership skill can do that.

Aye, I'm posting it here to see if y'all think it works or not before putting it in game.  Feedback and criticism's welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Jake Norwood

At first glance I think it's pretty cool. Is it more than a one-use thing, though? Gifts are rare, and I'd feel jipped as a player if I bought this (instead of accuracy or something) and only got to use it once in 3 months play.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Judd

I picture it as more than a one use thing.  A one use Gift would be kinda lame, methinks.

Maybe, though, this should be a Leadership roll linked to an SA, allowing the character to pass their passion on to others for a small amount of time.  I'm thinking that the first two posters might've very well had a good point, that this should be handled with SA's and the Leadership skill.

Ingenious

A few movies of note that this topic brought to mind were Braveheart and of course, as everyone has been speaking of it.. the Last Samurai. Both have their own instances of leaders making speeches to increase moral of the troops... to make them a bit more zealous for the upcoming battle.
I am particularly fond of the idea myself, as my character can use it. However, I would take note with it being a 'gift'. As others have mentioned, the gift might be used in a limited fashion... bad choice for anyone IMO. Why use something that can only be done before battles, if I can have a gift that I can use more frequently? I think you should make this a skill, so that with each subsequent use of your 'pep-talk', you can improve upon it... and make your TN for the skill lower over time? This would solve the 'one use gift' dilemma, as well as making it applicable to any size of group.
Though, someone with a more indepth knowledge of the game mechanics could come up with the specifics of that..

-Ingenious
Oh, and I don't think leadership has as much to do with this as you think Paka... that pertains more to giving orders DURING a battle... IMO

toli

I like the idea in a Beowulfian-anglo saxon sort of way.   Couldn't you just run it like the True Leadership gift but apply it to Orate.  It woule be the gift of a true poet or something like that.

NT
NT