News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

anti climactic endings

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, December 08, 2003, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashren Va'Hale

I have found that what makes a good climactic battle in tros is not thelength but the setting and sa's, the fights themselves tend to be less flashy and moreanti climactic.
For example:

Last campaign, after chasing down the archenemy towards whom 4 of five SA's were pointing, my character kills him by kicking dirt in his face and smashing his face in with a morning star. All in one round.

also, many campaigns agao, my character killed teh archnemesis mage by tipping a table onto him then jumping on his back and clubbing him in the back of the head with his gauntleted fist until the guy sustained enough level three wounds to be rendered unconscious.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same type of experience? if so please share!
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Ashren Va'Halealso, many campaigns agao, my character killed teh archnemesis mage by tipping a table onto him

It was probably a critical hit table...

(ducks ensuing groans)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Draigh

*clubs Brian with a sharpened maul*

*bursts into flames*
Drink to the dead all you, still alive.
We shall join them, in good time.
If you go crossing that silvery brook it's best to leap before you look.

Lance D. Allen

Can't say as I've seen the same, Ashren. Did the Archenemy also have SAs aimed toward the PC, or which applied in some other way to the combat? If not, it's not at all surprising that he got toasted so easily.

Brian.. A thousand eternities of torture await those who perpetrate gamer puns on unsuspecting and undeserving victims.

And why do I suddenly get the impression that sharpened mauls are going to become a running joke...?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

I've seen it once, but the suddenness and brutality of it made in more climactic. It was a powerful thing. Check out the last scene in the movie Sanjuro to get an idea of how climactic such a thing can be. Oh, and it sounds like your GM's going too easy on you...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Ashren Va'Hale

two things, the baddie had sa's in both examples and I actually like this type of conflict resolution. It seems more exciting to kick dirtin the guys face and then wipe the floor with him.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Jasper the Mimbo

Brian, I have a friend that would worship you as a small but powerful god for that pun. The rest of us are burning you in effigy.

Where's my voodoo doll......
List of people to kill. (So far.)

1. Andy Kitowski
2. Vincent Baker
3. Ben Lehman
4. Ron Edwards
5. Ron Edwards (once isn't enough)

If you're on the list, you know why.

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: wolfsongBrian, I have a friend that would worship you as a small but powerful god for that pun. The rest of us are burning you in effigy.

I would make a joke about my ears burning, but at this point that would merely be gratituous :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion