News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Computer RPG's and the difference perceived

Started by Callan S., December 06, 2003, 06:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endoperez

Computers can have a better, more realistic, system as it 'throws the dice' much faster, and counts the sum or whatever also much faster. But the computer can not produce a random result, only one of the predeterminated ones. And graphics are the part I least like in crpgs. A good description is much better than a good picture, and it is easier to do good enough description than good enough picture of a monster.
Both crpgs and pnp rpgs have their cons and pros. But if I had to choose I would play with a human. I have played rpgs with computers only (I would have wanted to play myself, but knew no GM), and although some came close, none have been better than a good book. But some of the stories I have read about roleplaying could have made a good book, and I can only imagine what it must have been when you played those...

- Endoperez -

Thierry Michel

In almost every CRPGs you play alone, whether you control one character or several (NWN with a DM is the exception), so expectations are naturally different. I have no experience with MMORPG, but I bet they feel different from both PnP and traditional CRPGs.

I don't think total freedom of action is crucial for roleplay, and I don't think either that the edge of the world effect is important for the quality of a game.

Callan S.

I might continue that and suggest its a matter of wiggle room, in terms of a sliding scale. Some people might say 'well, I can't roleplay there, it's too limited', but that's just that person. It doesn't set up a benchmark. Basically as things get more sophisticated, eg as the GM has better GM'ing skills or as the program has better coding, there is ever increasing room for more roleplay potential.

And in the end, although some people might not play CRPG's because that RP wiggle room is too limited (for them) they might also avoid that limited human GM for exactly the same reasons. Its less about difference and more about preference.

In fact some people probably turn to a good CRPG if they've recently had a bad experience with a poorly skilled GM. Actually, probably most jump into a first person shooter or vice city, that's what I do after a cruddy session!
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>