News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Accidental Sorcery?

Started by jeffd, December 15, 2003, 07:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffd

So I'm prepping for Sorcerer.  One thing that's occured to me is I might face a PC who is a sorcerer on accident.  "I just opened my Grandmother's trunk after she died and oops there was a demon in there and now it's bound to me."  

One of the example characters in the book have this going.  Specifically Armand (was that his name?  The one with the Passer Demon with the cat eye).  He slept with a woman with no idea what was going on and OOPS now she's bound to him.

Doesn't this somewhat detract from the weight of the consequences of summoning a Demon?  It seems to me that all aspects of Sorcery should be carefully deliberate.  Makes it more horrifying I think.

Or maybe it's just entirely depending on the premise the group is working with?  That's probably the answer, but I figured I'd kick this out to see what others had to say.

JD

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Actually, Armand did make a choice to be Bound to Jewel; I simply didn't express it quite as well in the example as I should have. The written description in the text was intended to indicate his faulty understanding of Binding than the actual situation.

Your judgment is correct: OOPS I found a demon is fine; OOPS I've Bound the demon is not. In fact, I suggest it is probably the single most obvious sign that a player is shying away from actually playing the game.

Best,
Ron

Bob McNamee

Some of the stuff in this thread might be helpful to remember too!

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=8065
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

greyorm

As might this thread: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=3540 (which is named, coincidentally enough, "Relucant Sorcerers").
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

jeffd

Thanks a lot guys!  Also especially to Ron for the difference between OOPS I found vs. OOPS I bound.

JD